PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing

4kh3RAm
July 19th, 2016, 02:55 AM
What do you do to relax ?

Bucky Ball
July 19th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Help on here, ride bikes, tootle on my clarinet, exercise, surf the net, surf Youtube ...

4kh3RAm
July 19th, 2016, 03:06 AM
Help on here, ride bikes, tootle on my clarinet, exercise, surf the net, surf Youtube ...

Good for you.

I ride a mountain bike, fix things, spend time with my grand kids, and post ?s here.

I am a perfectionist, but am working on minimizing it's effects.

deadflowr
July 19th, 2016, 05:04 AM
Nap

QIII
July 19th, 2016, 05:19 AM
^^This is the correct answer.

Bucky Ball
July 19th, 2016, 05:41 AM
I am a perfectionist, but am working on minimizing it's effects.

Know the feeling. I remind myself there are some things I can control and a lot I can't. My policy: focus on what you can and try and ignore the rest if it keeps screaming at you. We ain't living in a perfect world and are never likely to be, but there is some level of perfection/control that can be achieved within your four walls. What happens outside of them, well, that's another story I play by ear ... :)

Oh, yea. And for relaxation: nap now and then and occasionally sleep for six or seven hours. I left that one out so thanks for reminding me, deadflowr.

mastablasta
July 19th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Help on here,

as bizzare as it sounds - but it is a stress releave for me as well.

other than that games help me relax or a walk to the town and grabbing a cake or icecream at the local sweets restaurant.

4kh3RAm
July 19th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Sweets and chocolate are good too.

RobGoss
July 19th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Most of the time I love spending time with my family

I unwind by helping here on the forums I try to give as much spear time as I can to a number of Linux forum's

I also love fishing these days I mostly sport fish

Sitting in my office browsing the net trying to learn new things about Linux drinking a nice hot cop of coffee

poorguy
July 19th, 2016, 08:20 PM
I also ride a mountain bike.

I repair old antique vacuum tube table radios and other antique vacuum tube electronics.

I also like to restore antique table fans and restore antique light fixtures which get sold at antique malls which is how I support my antique radio habit.

QDR06VV9
July 19th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Smack the crap out of a golf ball..for 18 holes, Ride Pedal Bikes, Run when the weather and air quality permits, and read relaxing books.

Bucky Ball
July 19th, 2016, 08:31 PM
I repair old antique vacuum tube table radios ...

Now I could really relax with one of those. I'm actually a bit fixated by old radios, valve and particularly the first kooky portable transistors that came out. Unfortunately, my budget only allows a Sony pocket radio, but the quality's great for what it is.

Oh, yea, I listen to talkback and sport on the pocket radio. :)

poorguy
July 19th, 2016, 10:32 PM
(@Bucky Ball)

They can be costly depending on what type you buy and repairs they need which is why I like the table radios.

I have an early 1950s RCA tube portable that still works but batteries cost more than I care to pay as it requires two 67 volt batteries and they are not cheap.
It sets on my mantle in the living room next to an antique clock. Some of my table radios have several short wave bands on them and that is neat.

PJs Ronin
July 20th, 2016, 07:06 AM
addictive

user1397
July 20th, 2016, 01:07 PM
netflix

4kh3RAm
July 20th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Interesting. They still sell vacuum tubes ?

I like fixing things as well.

Linuxratty
July 21st, 2016, 11:50 PM
I like to sit in the swing after sunset with my house rabbit.

poorguy
July 22nd, 2016, 12:11 AM

I like fixing things as well.

Yes they still sell vacuum tubes online and at radio swap meets.

Bucky Ball
July 22nd, 2016, 01:36 AM
If vacuum tubes were no longer available we would no longer using or hearing the live sounds of the classic guitar (and bass) amps! These would all be pensioned off in a back room or music museum somewhere and, trust me, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Therefore, neither will the disappearance of vacuum tube production. They are going to be around for longer than I am I'd say. :)

papibe
July 22nd, 2016, 01:38 AM
What do you do to relax ?
Play guitar :D

Sure thing. Best guitar amps, IMHO, are made with tubes.

Regards.

lisati
July 22nd, 2016, 01:59 AM
If vacuum tubes were no longer available we would no longer using or hearing the live sounds of the classic guitar (and bass) amps!
I wouldn't have my current TV either - it's one of the last, if not THE last, CRT-based TV sold by one of my local retailers.

In my younger days I had a vacuum tube based radio. It had a motorized gadget for choosing the radio station, which, IIRC, got messed up by someone playing with the radio and not realizing that the selector system had to be disengaged before trying to manually tune the radio.

QDR06VV9
July 22nd, 2016, 01:59 AM
Play guitar :D

Sure thing. Best guitar amps, IMHO, are made with tubes.

Regards.

Could not agree more...:guitar:

poorguy
July 22nd, 2016, 02:06 AM
There is a lot of New Old Stock that can be purchased also.

A lot of tubes are made in China however depending on how they are used they work pretty well.

For any audio equipment go for the American OEM brand as in amplifiers it can make all of the difference in sound.

CantankRus
July 22nd, 2016, 02:42 AM
Beach run 4km a day with dog.... not sure who does the most panting?(me 56, dog 10)
Accoustic guitar, drinking coffee and browsing the forums.

4kh3RAm
July 22nd, 2016, 03:23 AM
Getting a massage is great too.

Bucky Ball
July 22nd, 2016, 06:04 AM
There is a lot of New Old Stock that can be purchased also.

A lot of tubes are made in China however depending on how they are used they work pretty well.

For any audio equipment go for the American OEM brand as in amplifiers it can make all of the difference in sound.

Friend of mine has had a Mesa Boogie guitar amp for about thirty years. Same valve, and taped inside the speaker cabinet is a spare, supplied and put there by Mesa Boogie at manufacture! Those valves were built to last! :)

QIII
July 22nd, 2016, 06:14 AM
Friend of mine has had a Mesa Boogie guitar amp for about thirty years. Same valve, and taped inside the speaker cabinet is a spare, supplied and put there by Mesa Boogie at manufacture! Those valves were built to last! :)

Some of MESA Engineering's products are visual works of art in themselves, too. But, yeah. I think tube amplifiers are the way to go. Nothing can handle the power like tubes.

jonjon2
July 22nd, 2016, 08:23 AM
It all depends. Sometimes it's having time alone to read a book or watch tv. Sometimes it's spending special time with my fiance. Sometimes it's spending time with family and friends. Those are the daily things. In the bigger scheme of relaxation, I take a nice vacation. Get away from it all. Which reminds me. I need to take a vacation.

pauljw
July 24th, 2016, 02:10 AM
I also ride a mountain bike.

I repair old antique vacuum tube table radios and other antique vacuum tube electronics.

I also like to restore antique table fans and restore antique light fixtures which get sold at antique malls which is how I support my antique radio habit.

I have a Magnavox Stereo Console that I grew up with in my parents home. When Mom passed, I inherited it. The radio works, but the turntable needs work. The cabinet is in very good original shape. I live in S. Indiana and would love to find someone to restore this unit.

I have no idea where you're located and understand that you wouldn't want to give out personal info here, but if you are nearby or know of anyone near Louisville, KY that works on these old beasts, I'd love to hear from you. Just PM me if you don't mind.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Paul