PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading to Windows 10 with Dual Boot Ubuntu and Grub

Geek10
July 16th, 2016, 02:50 PM
This is a post about how my Windows 10 upgrade was hindered by my misunderstanding of the dual-boot nature of Windows and Ubuntu with Grub. I don't normally take the time to share how my problems were solved, but with the free upgrade to Windows 10 coming to an end on 29 July 2016, I thought this may help fellow dual-booters with the optional upgrade.

First, I will mention that Microsoft has an extensive list of troubleshooting advice for upgrading to Windows 10 here (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683).

I followed this advice, but each time after running the Windows 10 setup from a DVD created from the Windows 10 Installation Media, the computer rebooted, and once logged in to Windows 7, produces the error message: "0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation".

After much consternation and investigation, I finally found the solution in an obscure thread (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/solved-windows-8-upgrade-on-dual-boot-machine-with/33fc8c23-5645-4cd9-a30c-a6c5c4e224ed?auth=1) by a user called Qshunt who had similar problems upgrading to Windows 8 with a dual boot setup. Qshunt said:

I realised that on my GRUB loader screen there were *two* Win7 boot options. One on /dev/sda1 and on on /dev/sda2. I'd always booted into /dev/sda2, because the 1st time I'd tried sda1 it had gone through some sort of windows check-disk process and I'd assumed it was a safe-boot or similar.

In any event, booting via /dev/sda1 and then starting the upgrade process and using sda1 on all the interim reboots during the upgrade did the trick.

So if you have two GRUB Windows 7 boot options that work and you get upgrade failures on one, then maybe try the other.

Moderators, if you feel this post is irrelevant/should be moved/should be kicked to Microsoft's forums, please let me know/do so. I'm only trying to help the wonderful dual-boot community that helped me enjoy the benefits of dual-booting. Thanks! :razz: