PDA

View Full Version : First impressions about Unity 8. Esthetics.

juan53
July 14th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Hi, I am writing this post to let you know about my perspective about Unity 8's appearance.
More and more appearance has more to say when it comes to desktop. We spent many many hours in fron of our computers, and many of us don't rely in 3th party esthetic modifications. This is the aim of my review. This review covers navigation and logic distribution of menus, icons and themes, desktop bars.

Navigation and logic distribution.
All in all, distribution is good. Everything is place following logic criterion. The improvement is given by the new pull-down menu. Where, as we know, you can change device characteristics. Apart from that, navigation is fast.

Icons and themes.
From my perspective this is the big weak point. The flat appearance makes the desktop sexier than the previous version, but it has some things to improve. First of all, there are some icons reused from previous versions, like folder icon. Reusing those icons prevent the desktop from offering a polished finish. In addition, the colour is too vivid, making the user to stay on alert. In general, the customisation options are quite low, and for me, this is a problem. I wish the desktop would include a darker theme. The reason is next: if you spend many hours in front a computer, your eyes get tired, as well as your head. Intense bright causes headaches. Turning down the brightness of the display could not be an option because in some cases you have to work close to a spotlight.

Desktop bars.
The bars are well placed. In fact, to me, the side desktop bar is a key feature, because it fits better in panoramic displays. The upper desktop bar, is well placed as well. The colour is pretty standard, which is good, but the capability to change its colour would be well received.

Conclussións.
Good performance, or at least every points a great one.
The navigation is straightfoward and fast.
There is a huge lack of customisation.
Some icons are not ready.

Reflexion.
If something good was made by Microsoft, it was Windows 10 appearance. The company spends huge amount of money in appearance (weak colours, straight lines and panoramic proportions, all of them provides the user with calm) and logic navigation. Apart from that, the more customisable the desktop is, the more popular it becomes. Those things was catched up by KDE, and its result was Plasma 5.

Thanks for reading.

QIII
July 14th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Moved to the Cafe.