PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] probably replacing mobo/cpu, seeking guidance

Odyssey1942
July 10th, 2016, 09:36 PM
I am replacing a MSI mobo and 64 bit i3 cpu that (I fear) went toes up due to an expensive lesson for me (plugged power cord into outlet with the other end of the cord in the power supply [although with psu switch in OFF position]). When the plug went in, there was a brief smallish spark in the outlet and the computer would then not turn on. Tried switching power cords, tested cord with "hot" indicator pocket tester, both cords showed power. Took the PSU out, tested it, and it tests OK, but the computer does not come to life when switched on so I assumed the spark fried either the mobo or the cpu or both. BTW, how do you test just the mobo and cpu alone (if I remember correctly, need KB and mouse, memory and maybe a hdd connected, with PSU and monitor in order to test)?

Assuming that it is dead, I need a replacement. I am a gnome 2 diehard, so I will be installing Ubuntu Mate 16.04. I set my desktop up with 8 workplaces, one dedicated to each of 8 separate interests, and usually leave a lot of windows open, each with many tabs open, so fair amount of memory needed. No gaming, or movies, just work, research, reading, emailing, spread sheets, word processing, occasional YouTube, etc.

The PSU is Antec BP350 (350W) which tests OK. I would like to reuse the DDR3 RAM. (4x4GB)

Given the above, and a desire to keep cost as low as practical, what cpu and mobo would you recommend?

Edit: I hope this is the right place to post this. Also I am probably properly classified as a noob, so please keep it simple for me. Tks.

MAFoElffen
July 10th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Wait.

So you said... The ATX PSU power switch at the back of the PSU was switched off when you plugged it in?

If so, then there was no power to the motherboard. If not, then there was and it might be the mobo...

But you say you tested the PSU and it tested fine??? What did you test with? VOM? PSU tester (digital or analog)?

Does the atx power LED on the board light up? If yes, then it may be the mobo. If not, please retest the PSU (all, 12+, gnd, 5+, 5-, 3+, 3- ... or with a PSU tester).

*** Reason I say that, I have fried boards before, but... I also have 4 servers here that are running boards that other people said where fried.

oldfred
July 11th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Built new system about a year & half ago.
Tried to cheap out and reuse case & power supply. Power supply was only 4 or 5 years old and ATX standard. Worked with old motherboard.
New motherboard had lots of LEDs that kept saying error. Took motherboard back and new one was the same. Microcenter for a few $ plugged in motherboard and it booted right up. They then sold me a new power supply and system worked well.
But old case has no USB3 ports on front and new motherboard is mostly USB3. Living with one extension cable to front from a USB3 port on back.

MAFoElffen
July 11th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Most times, the first things that go are PSU, fans, & drives... Those all have moving parts. PSU, on the high voltage side, most have a soldered in fuse.

gordintoronto
July 12th, 2016, 12:30 AM
If it were me, I would have a close look at these components:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132697
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2MN-0004-00002

Note that the prices are Canadian dollars, which have much less purchasing power than U.S. greenbacks.

I also would not fool around with your existing power supply. A nice replacement costs less than $50.

grahammechanical
July 12th, 2016, 03:49 AM
I do not think it wise to recommend make & model without knowing technical details of the components that you wish to reuse. I will illustrate with my own equipment.

Case: accepts motherboard form factors ATX and Micro-ATX.
PSU: provides ATX power connection with a 24 pin configurable main power connector with a removable 4-pin section for motherboards with 20-pin power connectors.
CPU: requires Intel LGA775 style CPU socket.

Intel & AMD CPUs do not fit the same sockets and both manufacturers are in the habit of redesigning the CPU sockets when they bring out newer CPUs. I wish you all the best but I have experienced enough stress making my own purchasing decisions and I have made mistakes. I refuse to take responsibility for someone else's purchasing decisions.

Odyssey1942
July 12th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Called out of town (and away from the subject hardware), returning Thurs and will resume then. In the meantime thanks for all the guidance. Will follow up where I can over internet if time permits in the meantime.