PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Black screen with check disk result and no graphic interface after install

francoish36
July 7th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Hello,

I just installed Lubuntu 16.04 LTS on an old Dell desktop unit.

I have no trouble to start the install from my live USB but after installing, I get the result of mounting the main disk, but no graphical interface.

Swithching to different TTY shows me the login prompt but revert to this strange message automatically. It's like X is not starting or displaying correctly or I have other trouble.

Do you have a suggestion on how to solve this?

Kind regards.

ajgreeny
July 7th, 2016, 06:21 PM
There has been a problem with some systems not installing the xserver-xorg-video-intel package, when the hardware has one of the ld Intel 945 graphic chips.

As you say you are able get to a TTY from Ctrl+Alt+F1 you should first try
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel which may solve your problems. If I have misunderstood the ability to get to a TTY try booting the system from the grub menu with nomodeset option; you can do this by
1. - Hold shift at power-on to get the grub menu
2. - Hit "e" when the highlighted line is your Lubuntu install
3. - Use cursor keys to the words quiet splash and add nomodeset after that without changing anything else
4. - Ctrl+X or F10 to boot, hopefully to a low resolution desktop from which you can install tghat missing xserver package.

There is a launchpad bug for the problem, if this is the one you experience.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lubuntu-meta/+bug/1575460

Good luck. If it does not work for you (it did for me), come back again and we will try to sort it out some other way.