PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, Ubuntu 15.10 has experienced an internal error.

UserJB
July 4th, 2016, 01:38 AM
Sorry, Ubuntu 15.10 has experienced an internal error.

That is the error message whenever I log into the Ubuntu PC I just installed. I'd paste the text of the error here, but the window that displays the message does not cut-and-past.

So, what do I do?

It tells me to upgrade a list of packages which is 1000 characters long. But I can't cut and paste the list into a window? What do the Ubuntu developers expect me to do? Type every package into the command line? And, why do I have to upgrade packages if I just did a fresh install? (yes, I already did apt-get update).

halogen2
July 4th, 2016, 02:12 AM
why do I have to upgrade packages if I just did a fresh install?
Because the packages distributed on the CD image are not necessarily the latest packages

(yes, I already did apt-get update)
apt-get update doesn't upgrade the packages, it just downloads the current list(s) of packages. In order to upgrade the packages, also run apt-get dist-upgrade

Impavidus
July 4th, 2016, 11:10 AM
The packages in the live disk were the lastest versions when the live disk was released, which was last October. You have about 9 months of updates waiting. The atp-get update command made the package manager aware of the updates, now the command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade should be able to install them.

Note though that 15.10 is almost end-of-live. Better not spend too much time on it, as you'll have to upgrade before the end of the month. In fact, better not spend any time on it, but do a fresh installation of 16.04 LTS right away.