PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot login to GUI with fresh 16.04 install

DarkerStar
July 3rd, 2016, 01:19 AM
I just completed an install of 16.04 on a new system without any problems, but when the system (not the live USB) started, I get the (GUI) login screen, I can enter my password, then... nothing. Well, almost nothing. Only the background image shows (the text at the bottom left showing the Ubuntu version vanishes). The mouse still works, and I can Ctrl+Alt+F1 into a text login (and I can login there successfully).

I did see some flashes of stuff happening. In the top right I saw flashes of what looked like notifications about updates available. Then I saw what looked like an "Ubuntu has experienced an error" messages jumping between the top left and bottom right.

Could this be a graphics card issue? The card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 960.

grahammechanical
July 3rd, 2016, 03:15 AM
Try right clicking on the background wallpaper. You should get a drop down menu. If you select Change Desktop Background that will open System Setting at the Appearance page. From there you can access the System Settings window and then go to Software & Updates>Additional Drivers tab and change video drivers. That might help.

Regards.

DarkerStar
July 3rd, 2016, 03:33 AM
Clever trick, and it worked!

mortuk
August 8th, 2016, 04:04 PM
exact same problem, however right click gives me nothing, and CTRL+ALT+F1 wont give me another TTY, any ideas?

Bashing-om
August 8th, 2016, 07:55 PM
mortuk' Hello;

As :

however right click gives me nothing,

then your problem is of a different nature.
You do need to start your own thread and gain a specific audence for your specific issue.

just because it is brown and has 4 legs

does not meant it is a horse