PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade to 4.4.0.28 crashed amdgpr-pro (16.04)

ping-wu
July 2nd, 2016, 06:11 PM
As above-titled, upgrade to 4.4.0.28 crashed amdgpr-pro. Rebooting to 4.4.0.21 and screen returned to OK. AMD Carrizo HP notebook. Just to note an observation.

MAFoElffen
July 3rd, 2016, 03:19 PM
Curiosity prompts me to ask if the AMD graphics driver being used for your APU is a packaged or binary driver? Next to ask would be if your driver has a dkms modlue, and is automatically recompiled with a kernel update?

ping-wu
July 3rd, 2016, 07:18 PM
Curiosity prompts me to ask if the AMD graphics driver being used for your APU is a packaged or binary driver? Next to ask would be if your driver has a dkms modlue, and is automatically recompiled with a kernel update?

amdgpu-pro installed according to AMD's own instruction:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Install.aspx

The driver was installed after upgrading xenial kernel from 4.4.0.21 to 4.4.0.28. Problem was reproducible. Now can only boot into 4.4.0.21 kernel (otherwise screen would be corrupted).

Both amdgpu-pro_16.20 (beta) and amdgpu-pro_16.30 (official release) versions were tested.

MAFoElffen
July 3rd, 2016, 07:35 PM
Beta driver(?) Saw that in your link... Read it, went through the output listed there...

On something that would confirm of it is a kernel bug, or just the video driver's module needing to be recompiled under that kernel would be to boot under that kernel in text mode and

sudo apt-get install -reinstall amdgpu-pro-dkms

Then if still a problem with that kernel a bug with that kernel. If it works, then better, right?

ping-wu
July 4th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Beta driver(?) Saw that in your link... Read it, went through the output listed there...

On something that would confirm of it is a kernel bug, or just the video driver's module needing to be recompiled under that kernel would be to boot under that kernel in text mode and

sudo apt-get install --reinstall amdgpu-pro-dkms

Then if still a problem with that kernel a bug with that kernel. If it works, then better, right?

No difference, screen still corrupted. As I had suspected, this is most likely a kernel problem.

ping-wu
July 24th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Everything seems to be OK now with Ubuntu 16.04.01.

Way to go, (the new) AMD!