PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] saving repositories

uwe-bungto
July 2nd, 2016, 03:08 AM
I am going to upgrade from 14.04LTS to 16.04 LTS, actually a clean install.
Is there a way to save the repositories I have been using?
thanks

grahammechanical
July 2nd, 2016, 03:26 AM
Why would you want to do that? Each version of Ubuntu has its own set of repositories on the Ubuntu servers. Mixing the repositories from more than one version of Ubuntu will cause all kinds of package conflicts.

Anyway, the list of repositories, called software sources, are just text files. They can be copied like any other text file. They are at /etc/apt/

Regards

uwe-bungto
July 2nd, 2016, 11:32 AM
I thought there is a simpler way that typing in sudo add-apt-repository ppa:user/ppa-name a half dozen times on each box.
I also noticed that sudo add-apt-repository ppa:user/ppa-name without the distro name (trusty or vivid etc) will actually find the distro you have installed or return distro not found. I seems that a number of PPA's have stopped the last few updates.

howefield
July 2nd, 2016, 11:40 AM
Suppose you could do something like..

cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list > ~/sources.list

which will make a new sources.list file saved to your home folder which contains all repositories listed within sources.list and sources.list.d

uwe-bungto
July 2nd, 2016, 01:17 PM
Suppose you could do something like..

cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list > ~/sources.list

which will make a new sources.list file saved to your home folder which contains all repositories listed within sources.list and sources.list.d

Thanks