PDA

View Full Version : XUbuntu 16.04 installer crashes on dual boot

jonchin
June 29th, 2016, 05:09 PM
I'm trying to dual boot Windows 10 and Xubuntu 16.04 on my new SSD. I was previously able to do this no problem on an SATA harddrive, using the same install usb keys (one for each).

With my SSD, I installed Windows 10 first, disabled fast startup. When I try to install Xubuntu alongside, it crashes after I select the keyboard layout. I believe it creates the partitions correctly. I tried generating a report but I think it's just a list of hardware components? There's no actual error message?

I've been able to consistently replicate this crash. It crashes right after I select the keyboard layout.

Can anyone help?

oldfred
June 29th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Did you install Windows in UEFI or BIOS boot mode. Or is hardware UEFI capable?
Post this:
sudo parted -l

jonchin
June 30th, 2016, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure of the answers to either question (pardon my ignorance). Here is the output from parted:

Model: ATA ADATA SP550 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 240GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 525MB 524MB primary ntfs boot
2 525MB 211GB 210GB primary ntfs
3 211GB 240GB 29.4GB extended

This is the drive:
https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-Premier-SP550-240GB-ASP550SS3-240GM-C/dp/B013J7Q338

yancek
June 30th, 2016, 03:00 AM
You don't seem to have an EFI partition so you probably have windows installed MBR. You need to create partitions on which to install Ubuntu and create a swap partition. You can do that with the Extended partition showing if you use the manual (Something Else) option. The output you posted shows that partitions were not created on which to install Xubuntu.

oldfred
June 30th, 2016, 04:28 AM
I prefer to create / (root), swap and I use /mnt/data partition in advance with gparted and then use Something else to specify which partition is which & format it during install. You can use /home and/or a separate data partition that is NTFS for shared data between Windows & Linux.

gparted & fdisk instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingANewHardDrive
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition/OperatingSystemsAndPartitions
MBR or gpt partitions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace

jonchin
June 30th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Thanks Yancek. But this is a snapshot after several failed attempts and several reinstallations of Windows and Xubuntu.

The automated Xubuntu installer does create the the ext4 partition and a swap partition, but crashes after keyboard layout selection. After a failed attempt, I can see these from both the live usb and from Windows. In fact, if I try to install Xubuntu again, it creates a second set of ext4 and swap partitions.

Once or twice, I even created the partitions manually and it crashed at the same point.

I don't think I have a lousy USB. I've reformatted it and used UNETBOOTIN several times. Plus, the same key installs on my old SATA drive (with Windows already there).

oldfred
June 30th, 2016, 03:41 PM
While a new drive, did you before installing Windows make gpt partitions or RAID partitions.
Those leave hidden data on drive that prevents install, but Windows does not seem to care about.
Parted usually does not show issues with the hidden data. Sometimes fdisk does show issues.
sudo fdisk -ly

But there is a new version of fdisk with 16.04 and I do not know if it still will show any of those issues.

The installer also has a install log file, but you lose it as soon as you shutdown as it really is then only in memory.
Not sure of name, but look in /var/log for install or similar.

jonchin
July 1st, 2016, 03:58 AM
Here are the logs for /var/log/installer/debug

Ubiquity 2.21.63
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_ui.py:53: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Gtk, Gdk, GObject, GLib, Atk
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-timezone.py:194: PyGIWarning: TimezoneMap was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('TimezoneMap', '1.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import TimezoneMap
No such schema 'org.gnome.nautilus.desktop'
/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/misc.py:654: PyGIWarning: Xkl was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Xkl', '1.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Xkl, GdkX11
No such schema 'org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard'
update_release_notes_label()
update_release_notes_label()
Could not translate page (prepare): 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'replace'
No such schema 'com.canonical.indicator.session'
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-timezone.py:98: PyGIWarning: Soup was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Soup', '2.4') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Gtk, GObject, GLib, Soup
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-console-setup.py:72: Warning: Source ID 1023 was not found when attempting to remove it
GLib.source_remove(self.keyboard_layout_timeout_id )
/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-console-setup.py:74: Warning: Source ID 1026 was not found when attempting to remove it
GLib.source_remove(self.keyboard_variant_timeout_i d)
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
No such schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys'
No such schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys'
No such schema 'org.mate.SettingsDaemon.plugins.media-keys'
No such schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power'
No such schema 'org.gnome.nautilus.desktop'

Here are the logs for /var/log/installer/dm

ubiquity-dm: starting
ubiquity-dm: plymouth
ubiquity-dm: start X ['X', '-br', '-ac', '-noreset', '-nolisten', 'tcp', '-background', 'none', 'vt1', ':0']

X.Org X Server 1.18.3
Release Date: 2016-04-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.13.0-85-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux xubuntu 4.4.0-21-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 18:33:37 UTC 2016 x86_64
Kernel command line: file=/cdrom/preseed/xubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --- maybe-ubiquity
Build Date: 07 April 2016 09:18:50AM
xorg-server 2:1.18.3-1ubuntu2 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org (http://wiki.x.org/)
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jul 1 02:31:47 2016
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
ubiquity-dm: set vars
ubiquity-dm: pam_open_session
ubiquity-dm: dm-scripts
ubiquity-dm: dbus
ubiquity-dm: dconf-service
ubiquity-dm: start frontend gtk_ui
No such schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.background'
No such schema 'org.gnome.metacity'

** (process:1623): WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkn own: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
ubiquity-dm: start greeter

(process:1634): indicator-sound-WARNING **: volume-control-pulse.vala:735: unable to get pulse unix socket: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkn own: The name org.PulseAudio1 was not provided by any .service files
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
initctl: UPSTART_SESSION isn't set in the environment. Unable to locate the Upstart instance.

(xfsettingsd:1738): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion 'prefix != NULL' failed

(xfsettingsd:1738): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_get_string: assertion 'G_VALUE_HOLDS_STRING (value)' failed

(xfsettingsd:1738): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_get_string: assertion 'G_VALUE_HOLDS_STRING (value)' failed
Activating service name='org.a11y.atspi.Registry'
Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.atspi.Registry'

(process:1634): indicator-sound-WARNING **: accounts-service-access.vala:125: unable to find Accounts path for user null: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkn own: The name com.canonical.UnityGreeter was not provided by any .service files

(panel:1632): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_geometry_hints: assertion 'geometry != NULL || geom_mask == 0' failed

(xfwm4:1624): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion 'prefix != NULL' failed
ubiquity-dm: greeter exited with code 1
ubiquity-dm: Failed with an exception:
ubiquity-dm: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/ubiquity-dm", line 784, in main
ret = run(vt, display, username)
File "/usr/bin/ubiquity-dm", line 759, in run
ret = dm.run(*sys.argv[4:])
File "/usr/bin/ubiquity-dm", line 648, in run
db = DebconfCommunicator('ubiquity', cloexec=True)
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/debconfcommunicator.py", line 37, in __init__
write=self.dccomm.stdin)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 50, in __init__
self.setUp(title)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 53, in setUp
self.version = self.version(2)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 62, in <lambda>
lambda *args, **kw: self.command(command, *args, **kw))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 83, in command
status = int(status)
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

xfsettingsd: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
xfwm4: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(process:1634): indicator-sound-WARNING **: Name lost or unable to acquire bus: com.canonical.indicator.sound

(nm-applet:1635): Gdk-WARNING **: nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(panel:1632): Gdk-WARNING **: panel: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(process:1633): indicator-application-service-WARNING **: Name Lost
(II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Here are the results of parted -l after a failed install:

Model: ATA ADATA SP550 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 240GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 525MB 524MB primary ntfs boot
2 525MB 211GB 210GB primary ntfs
3 211GB 240GB 29.4GB extended
5 211GB 231GB 20.8GB logical ext4
6 231GB 240GB 8586MB logical linux-swap(v1)

oldfred
July 1st, 2016, 04:38 AM
Added code tags.

Have not installed Xubuntu, so not sure if errors and warnings are critical or not? Sometime errors are posted that do not matter.

jonchin
July 1st, 2016, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the code tags. I assume they are critical because the installer crashes and quits.

oldfred
July 1st, 2016, 03:34 PM
I did a google search on a couple of the critical errors and only real results seemed to be years old and solved but not any fixes and not related to install.

What video card/chip?

jonchin
July 1st, 2016, 05:06 PM
update: I redownloaded Xubuntu and recreated a a boot up usb. This time, I told it to wipe the drive completely (no dual boot).

It still crashed at the same point: after keyboard layout selection. To Google!

jonchin
July 1st, 2016, 05:52 PM
video card: Radeon HD 4870
cpu: AMD Athlon II X3

oldfred
July 1st, 2016, 06:00 PM
I do not know AMD, but we went around & around in this thread. He had dual AMD which was issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2329295