PDA

View Full Version : 16.04 has broken dependency management, Ubuntu Software Center broken too

dean.w.schulze
June 29th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Just installed 16.04. When I try to install the Google Chrome .deb file with Ubuntu Software Center it hangs with a waiting message and never installs. I try to bypass the broken Ubuntu Software Center by using gdebi, but "sudo apt-get install gdebi" fails with an unmet dependency. I tried the same command on 15.10 and it successfully installs gdebi.

These are show stoppers. Are there fixes for these, or is 16.04 just broken? I've used Ubuntu 14 for a couple of years and it has been solid. I've used 15.10 for a couple of months and haven't found any problems. If 16.04 is seriously broken I can downgrade to 15.10, but without dependency management I can't use 16.04.

CantankRus
June 29th, 2016, 06:17 AM
What's the actual output when you try to install gdebi?
I can install gdebi from a live xenial CD after enabling the universe repo so must be something else going on here.
Is this a fresh install or upgrade?

howefield
June 29th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Software Centre is new in 16.04 and under going fairly heavy development, as far as I can see.

If it helps, you can install local debs with apt, ie no need for installing gdebi.

sudo apt install /path/to/deb/file

dean.w.schulze
June 29th, 2016, 04:50 PM
What's the actual output when you try to install gdebi?
I can install gdebi from a live xenial CD after enabling the universe repo so must be something else going on here.
Is this a fresh install or upgrade?

It shows several lines of error output with an unmet dependency on gdebi-core which has several other dependencies. I can't copy and paste the output until I can get chrome installed which is blocked by the broken Ubuntu Software Center. Without chrome I have to go from room-to-room manually copying things. If you really need to exact output I'll try to install chrome with apt as mentioned above.

QIII
June 29th, 2016, 04:52 PM
A cell phone image will do in a pinch. :)

deadflowr
June 29th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Silly question, but have a run a full system update yet?
I ask because the hanging of the software center was indicative of how it worked in the early point of the release.
They released a fix and that should not happen anymore, but you need to update the system to get the fix.

The bug report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1573408

Don't know about gdebi, but probably same circumstance.

dean.w.schulze
June 29th, 2016, 07:27 PM
I ask because the hanging of the software center was indicative of how it worked in the early point of the release.
They released a fix and that should not happen anymore, but you need to update the system to get the fix.

The bug report here:

I haven't done an update yet. I'll give that a try.

The bug report here:

Well, that solved the problems. Videos play now too.

When I ran the software updater it failed with a message saying the package system was broken and the I should run apt-get install -f (I think that was the command). Once I ran that (using sudo) I was able to run the software updater and after restarting I was able to install chrome using Ubuntu Software Center and play videos.

The 16.04 .iso is so broken that the software updater won't even run. Canonical has serious quality problems.

ian-weisser
June 30th, 2016, 09:45 PM
The 16.04 .iso is so broken that the software updater won't even run. Canonical has serious quality problems.

Have not seen that on any of my 16.04 systems. Rock solid, good updates. Worked great on each machine out-of-the-box.

uRock
July 1st, 2016, 12:05 AM
Have not seen that on any of my 16.04 systems. Rock solid, good updates. Worked great on each machine out-of-the-box.

Same here. I've installed it on three computers and countless VMs. Not one problem with updating software after the installs.

mörgæs
July 1st, 2016, 04:51 AM
'Broken' is a strong word but you are right that all operative systems are buggy at release. The safe approach is to

install Buntu
do a full system update followed by a reboot
install outside deb's if needed

in this order.

In addition to this Gnome Software has a design flaw as described in the Launchpad report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1594080). Again reboots (or upgrading by command line) are a good habit.

dean.w.schulze
July 2nd, 2016, 05:25 PM

You must be working with a different .iso than I downloaded last week. Ubuntu Software Center has been broken for some time:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/ubuntu-16-04-deb-software-install-error

Did you try the software center "out of the box", or did you install updates first (or install updates during the install)? The updates fixed the issues I saw with the .iso, but the .iso itself is junk.

uRock
July 3rd, 2016, 03:36 AM
You must be working with a different .iso than I downloaded last week. Ubuntu Software Center has been broken for some time:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/ubuntu-16-04-deb-software-install-error

Did you try the software center "out of the box", or did you install updates first (or install updates during the install)? The updates fixed the issues I saw with the .iso, but the .iso itself is junk.

I don't think I have ever tried to install software before running updates on a fresh install. I blame and thank Microsoft for this habit.