PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Compatibillity Hardware

tomplast
August 9th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Is there any site which tells if a hardware component work with a specific version of Ubuntu or not? If not this is something we should have (linked on the main page or something) so people could look and see if their hardware would work without problems or if they would need to do some tinkering on their own.

DoctorMO
August 9th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I'm working on it!

aktiwers
August 9th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I'm working on it!

Nice!! Great work!

tomplast
August 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I'm working on it!

Great :). Could you tell us a little more about what you have done? Any Wiki link or something?

Mathiasdm
August 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
This (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport?highlight=%28hardware%29) might be useful...

DoctorMO
August 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Mathiasdm: The problem is that the wiki is not a very effective way to store this kind of information, the editing process is globed and you get no linkage between the funny PCI/USB names and the real names on the hardware it's self, there is also no space to put other useful information without making the page unreadable.

tomplast: no wiki, there will be a home page I'm sure, that is a screen shot of a hardware client, which will act as both a tool to send information about hardware to a server and a tool for identifying hardware more easyly using information on the server (imagen a cross between wikipedia, apt-get and HAL). after the server software is written and the client is improved I'll release it to fellow developers and see how to take it from there.

tomplast
August 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM
This (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport?highlight=%28hardware%29) might be useful...

Yeah I had forgotten it for a while there ^^. Though it could be a little easier, creating a GUI that could connect and download lists of supported hardware wouldn't be that bad :)

Mathiasdm
August 9th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Oh, I agree the wiki is not that efficient for this purpose.

However, I misunderstood the OP, and thought he wanted to buy some hardware (and needed to find out if it was compatible).

VirtuAlex
August 9th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I misunderstood the OP, and thought he wanted to buy some hardware (and needed to find out if it was compatible).
This wiki has very limited application even for choosing new hardware. The information it provides is miniscule and uncertain at best. I think, at this stage of linux desktop, users need some more official webpage which will actually promote certain vendors who make linux friendly hardware. We _have to_ help vendors who are releasing their full hardware specifications or at least making their own linux drivers. Moreover such a page should include a blacklist too - the vendors to stay away of.

codypumper
August 9th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I was able to use the wiki to find a sound card. Took me a while though, so I'm glad to see this.
There should be a "linux compatible" sticker companies can stick on hardware and computers to certify it works with particular distributions.

DoctorMO
August 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM
a Linux sticker would need to be arranged by Linus Torvalds as he owns the Trade Mark.

codypumper
August 9th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Thats true. Maybe a Ubuntu compatible sticker then.

VirtuAlex
August 9th, 2006, 07:50 PM
There should be a "linux compatible" sticker companies can stick on hardware and computers to certify it works with particular distributions.
They won't initiate this. User base is still too small. Linux community has to make advances first.