PDA

View Full Version : blank desktop after installing ubuntu on the same SSD as windows 10

jose_santiago
June 26th, 2016, 09:16 AM
SOOOO, i just installed Ubuntu on the same drive that my windows ten is on. It boots fine, but when i get to the desk top i either just have a blank desktop with nothing happening, or i get flashes of icons or a box with a bunch of folders, but they are just flashing in and out then just go away. i installed it off of a thumb drive. Could it have been corrupt?

yancek
June 26th, 2016, 01:54 PM
The Ubuntu iso could have become corrupted during the download as it is a rather large file. You should always do an md5 checksum to verify the download. What software did you use to put Ubuntu on the bootable flash drive? It also might just be a graphics driver and you may need to install a proprietary driver. What graphics card do you have?

jose_santiago
June 27th, 2016, 12:16 AM
I honestly can't remember what i used the first time. I downloaded the file then used a program to make sure it was bootable, then installed it. I just used rufus to redo the usb i had the files on and installed it again. the only difference this time is that i would get the screen to put my password in, but at the desk top it would just be a pinkish background, with the occasional box flickering in and out. My graphics card is Nvidia GeForce gtx980

ubfan1
June 27th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Probably a video problem, the 980 is pretty new. Starting with nomodeset,... at the grub menu screen, (instructions at bottom) type "e" to edit the boot command line for the linux kernel and add the options, one at a time to test what's needed:
Options for Video problems:

nomodeset
acpi=0
acpi_osi=linux
acpi_backlight=vendor
noalpic

i915.i915_enable_rc6=1

video=1280x1024-24@60
video=VGA-1:1280x1024-24@60

To allow Nvidia hybrid machines to boot.
nouveau.blacklist=1

Skylake needs this (15.04...):
i915.preliminary_hw_support=1
noveau.blacklist=1 edd=on nolapic pcie_aspm=force tpm_tis.interrupts=0
Maybe
intel_idle.max_cstate=1 nouveau.modeset=0