PDA

View Full Version : [Conky] Bad Substitution

Runedog48
June 24th, 2016, 09:29 PM
Greetings, I'm attempting to use Conky to overlay information about my hardware. I've managed to modify the default Conky config to my liking, however there's one line that's giving me an error ( bad substitution ). The command works perfectly in terminal but not with Conky.

This is the line of code. I'm attempting to make a bar which is filled based on GPU load. The error is produced when I attempt to pipe the 'grep' output to 'awk' which is supposed to remove the percent sign from the string ( execbar does not seem to like percent signs ).

${execbar ${exec aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks | grep -i -o [0-9]% | awk 'sub(/%/, "")' } }

Output when using commands in terminal:

runedog48@ThomasTheTrain /etc/conky $ aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks | grep -i -o [0-9]%
0%
runedog48@ThomasTheTrain /etc/conky $ aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks | grep -i -o [0-9]% | awk 'sub(/%/, "")'

runedog48@ThomasTheTrain ~ $ conky
Conky: desktop window (140002c) is subwindow of root window (9c)
Conky: window type - desktop
Conky: drawing to created window (0x3200001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
sh: 1: Bad substitution

Side note: I've only started using Linux as my daily driver about 2 weeks ago ( used Windows my whole life ), but I've been programming for a while. I'm still getting used to the switch and there's a lot I don't know yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Habitual
June 24th, 2016, 11:33 PM
Try sed, not awk?

aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks | grep -i -o [0-9]% | sed 's/\%//g'
or this should omit the "%" in the output to begin with,

aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks | grep -i -o [0-9]

Hope that helps.

Runedog48
June 25th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Try sed, not awk? or this should omit the "%" in the output to begin with

Thanks for the response. I received the same error when I substituted sed for awk. I cannot omit the "%" because I'm using it to search for the correct number.

Habitual
June 27th, 2016, 12:34 AM
I dunno, sorry.

Runedog48
June 27th, 2016, 11:12 PM
It seems I was able to get it working by using an external shell script to echo the value, which seems to be Conky friendly.

Conky Config

${color grey}GPU Usage$color ( total: ${execp sh ~/scripts/getGPUTemp.sh}% )
${execbar '/home/runedog48/scripts/getGPUTemp.sh'}

getGPUTemp.sh

gpuload="$(aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks | grep -i -o [0-9]% | awk 'sub(/%/, "")')"
echo -n $gpuload

There seems to be a bit of lag between the bar and the text, but for the most part it works fine. ( Took me so long to figure this out that I don't even want to bother fixing it ).

Screenshot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19018188/Conky%20Overlay.png

I think the original problem was caused by the nested command substitutions, but I don't know exactly what was wrong.

Habitual
June 28th, 2016, 01:10 AM
It seems I was able to get it working by running by using an external shell script to echo the value, which seems to be Conky friendly.
Never done that! :tongue:
I have tons of "components" left on my hard drive even though I never use them, or conky {code} any more.
I definitely had to use shell.fu in 16 of them (http://s771.photobucket.com/user/E522260/media/desktop_9_21_2010.png.html).

Good job and well done!

vasa1
June 28th, 2016, 02:58 AM
Won't
grep -i -o [0-9]%only pick up a single digit?