PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mate] Troubles doing a fresh install of Ubuntu Mate.

yoramdavid
June 21st, 2016, 11:52 PM
Hi all,

I have been using Mint Cinnamon until now. I bought a new SSD HDD and decided to do a fresh install with Ubuntu Mate which looks like the OS I like, more than Mint Cinnamon.
No windows in dual boot by the way, just Linux.
First I had many troubles as after installing all I would get would be the bios. After reading I let the installer erase the disk and install automatically rather than creating my partitions manually and it installed fine creating a EFI partition. I was able to login.
I then ran the installer again to create a separated /home partition (I hope it is really separated as to keep all my files when reinstalling or upgrading later),.
I also created two other partitions /Work and /Files but they were read-only. After googling, I found out they were under / , therefore root.
So I deleted those partitions and have a home partitions only with folders inside.
How do I create 2 partitions that are not inside / or /home and are rw?

But I have many problems:
1. Network (wired) is either not working or not showing the icon.
2. Thunderbird does not displays my mails after I copied the backup I had inside the Mail folder.
3. Firefox does not starts after I copied my backup profile to my /home location.
4. Instead of "home" it is named Ubuntu Mate.
5. When I plug my external hdd, it says it cannot mount it because I do not have enough privileges (it mounts fine on another machine running Mint Cinnamon).
6. There was a message saying I needed to update the language settings, then it said I had to set it up first, I try to do so, but nothing changes and the message keeps coming up. It is already on my language.
7. The home folder appears as if it was an external mounted drive, it has an eject icon next to it.

I know it is a lot for one thread, but is there any advise with an SSD drive? Has any one successfully installed Ubuntu Mate? Is it less stable than Mint?
I am now installing again... for the 4th time hoping things will be better.

yoramdavid
June 24th, 2016, 12:18 AM
OK, reinstalling solved all the above mentioned problems.

I am left with a few others.
Thank you all for reading the post.