PDA

View Full Version : Will LPI Certification Programs help at all with getting a Linux job?

cblnchat
June 16th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Hey there,

I'm curious if doing LPI Certifications will help at all with getting a job in Linux, if I don't have a Computer Science degree or any official tech related experience.

I'm pretty stuck doing non tech work. Places won't hire me because I don't have experience, but I can't get experience without getting a job. It's quite annoying.

I intend to go to school, but I can't right now. I just have to work in jobs I don't enjoy until I can get some money saved.

I just want to know if it's possible for me to get employed somewhere just with a cert, and get a jumpstart working somewhere in IT.

Thanks for any info

TheFu
June 17th, 2016, 03:06 AM
Join a LUG. Make contacts. Ask there.

Setup a home lab. Work through all the online Linux training stuff BEFORE dealing with LPI. Those certs are best for people who have been a jr. admin for 6-12 months first. I know people who found jobs (bad ones) with LPI and lots of home-learned knowledge. It really depends on your location in the world how useful LPI is. In the USA, a RHCE will earn $15K/yr more on average. RHCA is an entry level for a beginning admin - Iīd put it about the same as LPI 1&2, but HR in ĻcorporateĻ environments might only be interested in RH certs. It just depends.

Definitely work through all the free edx training to get started. Donīt avoid debian or centOS. Learning only Ubuntu isnīt sufficient from what Iīve seen, but YMMV. After all, it only takes 1 great job to get started.

OTOH, what do I know? Iīm just some guy on the internet.

cblnchat
June 17th, 2016, 04:16 AM

Setup a home lab. Work through all the online Linux training stuff BEFORE dealing with LPI. Those certs are best for people who have been a jr. admin for 6-12 months first. I know people who found jobs (bad ones) with LPI and lots of home-learned knowledge. It really depends on your location in the world how useful LPI is. In the USA, a RHCE will earn $15K/yr more on average. RHCA is an entry level for a beginning admin - Iīd put it about the same as LPI 1&2, but HR in ĻcorporateĻ environments might only be interested in RH certs. It just depends.

Definitely work through all the free edx training to get started. Donīt avoid debian or centOS. Learning only Ubuntu isnīt sufficient from what Iīve seen, but YMMV. After all, it only takes 1 great job to get started.

So since I'm located in the US, I should focus on the RHCA since that might get noticed more.
Although it seems they are quite expensive. But I will work toward it for sure.

I hadn't come across edx before, it seems like a great resource for learning. But there are only three linux based courses that I've found. Am I missing some?
There doesn't seem to be much for linux there.

Also...what is a LUG and how I do make contacts with one? :lolflag:
That term is completely new to me.

Do you know of any other resources?

And for "just some guy on the internet" you are giving me some awesome info for getting into a job I'll enjoy!

cblnchat
June 17th, 2016, 04:26 AM

So since I'm located in the US, I should focus on the RHCA since that might get noticed more.
Although it seems they are quite expensive. But I will work toward it for sure.

I hadn't come across edx before, it seems like a great resource for learning. But there are only three linux based courses that I've found. Am I missing some?
There doesn't seem to be much for linux there.

Also...what is a LUG and how I do make contacts with one? :lolflag:
That term is completely new to me.

Do you know of any other resources?

And for "just some guy on the internet" you are giving me some awesome info for getting into a job I'll enjoy!

TheFu
June 17th, 2016, 07:22 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_user_group - search for LUG and your metro area. Colleges and Universities often have LUGs that are open to non-students. My metro area has about 5 different LUGs which meet in 8+ different locations.

There are thousands if not tens of thousands of other resources for learning administration. Search with ĻLinux admin trainingĻ and if you want to get more localized, try your city/area. Many colleges offer course in Linux. There are thousands of books and probably millions of how-to webpages.

Be warned, depending on how new you are, how-to webpages may be a bad idea. More and more Iīm seeing guides created by people who mean well, but are so very new they donīt realize how much they donīt know. Often, those how-to pages completely ignore some basic Unix skills, knowledge and commonly used tools. There is a huge difference in the way that systems are built and run between a single home PC and a network of 20-20,000 Linux machines. If you are pointing and clicking it is almost certain you are doing it wrong. The difference between managing 5 systems and 50,000 isnīt too significant when you use normally used system admin tools.

The most important skills for a new Linux admin to learn are:
* virtualization
* devops
* openstack
* ldap
and a host of systems management things. However, before learning that stuff, the basics need to be learned. Management without any GUI, to start.
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/12/28/learning-linux is where I send people who ask me how to best learn Linux. It really is a different way of thinking. Many people who have only translated their other OS methods over to Linux and only use the GUI havenīt learned to think in the Unix way. This translation in thought process is very important for an admin, but less important for an end-user.

cblnchat
June 17th, 2016, 06:50 PM
I'll make sure to find a LUG to get in contact with.

Also I tend to try to find the non-GUI method to solve my problems. I've always felt that its just better to do it that way in a Linux distro.

I have tinkered with virtualization, but the other three I've never come across. Probably because I'm not running a network of PCs. Just mine.

Thanks for all the info

tech291083
June 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Not always, but self-study via forums like this one and YouTube videos + free e-books can surely put you on the right track. MNCs always ask for a certification of some sort, good luck.

tech291083
June 18th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Be warned, depending on how new you are, how-to webpages may be a bad idea. More and more Iīm seeing guides created by people who mean well, but are so very new they donīt realize how much they donīt know.

Makes sense to me, thanks.

The most important skills for a new Linux admin to learn are:
* virtualization
* devops
* openstack
* ldap

spot on.