PDA

View Full Version : The most awkward installation failure - Underscore Blinking on a Black Screen

eugandara
June 16th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Hi guys,

I'm using Ubuntu since 5.04 and i never saw a so strange situation and i can't solved for myself.

My live usb installation simple doesn't run, and start blinking an underscore on a black screen. I can open the First Screen where i can choose Try Ubuntu without installing; Install Ubuntu, Check disc for defects; Test Memory; Boot from first hard disk. If i click enter on Try without installing or Install Ubuntu happens the same, underscore blinking on a black screen. It happens also if i click enter on Check disc for defects.

For you know:

BIOS
* Secure Boot is disable
* Fastboot is disable
* CSM is enable
* Everything is on Legacy (on UEFI doesn't work also)
* Boot priority is ok

HARDWARE:
* I didn't change any hardware.
* I don't have Graphics Card. i used Intel from ASUS H97 Pro
* i'm using the same usb drive, one week ago it works the installation.
* I tried with more than one usb drive.
* On my laptop works, on my desktop not. Same ubuntu disc, same usb drive
* Im trying to install on a M.2 Plextor without dualboot, only Ubuntu.

OTHERS:

* I tried with nomodeset , nolapic, noapic, acpi=off (one each time) without success also.
* I tried to install Ubuntu 64bit, Ubuntu 32bit, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Gnome, always without success.
* I tried to install trough CD Drive exactly the same underscore blinking on a black screen.
* I could install windows through usb drive flawless and i can install 100% so strange
* It happens also with Boot-repair usb disc, same underscore blinking on a black screen.

Who is the brave and enlightened that can have some solution for me= :)

The most frustration was that one week ago i can do it and i didn't change NOTHING from that, everything is the same, hardware, usb drive, distribution, etc.

Many many thanks!

ubfan1
June 16th, 2016, 04:20 PM
That "nomedeset" shoudl be "nomodeset" (typo?). If you can select "legacy" instead of "CSM" that would be better -- CSM lets the machine decide, and the live media does both UEFI and legacy, so maybe it decided wrong, although why it changed I have no idea.

eugandara
June 16th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Yes of course is nomodeset ;)

eugandara
June 16th, 2016, 06:37 PM
That "nomedeset" shoudl be "nomodeset" (typo?). If you can select "legacy" instead of "CSM" that would be better -- CSM lets the machine decide, and the live media does both UEFI and legacy, so maybe it decided wrong, although why it changed I have no idea.

Yes of course is nomodeset :wink:

With CSM Auto or Disable appear only black screen after i choose Install Ubuntu
With CSM Enable and the option Boot Device Control on UEFI and Legacy OPROM appear black screen. With Legacy Only i have other screen on the boot, where i can choose the language and then the F6 options. But after i click install Ubuntu appear the underscore blinking on a black screen.

But and this is the awkward that i tell in the begging. One week ago i didnt need this options, i could boot the ubuntu from the usb with bios defaults. My curiosity ask me whats happens... so strange!!!

ubfan1
June 16th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Now that you can boot, the rest sounds like a video problem. USBs wear out, try the "check media" option instead of "try".

eugandara
June 17th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Now that you can boot, the rest sounds like a video problem. USBs wear out, try the "check media" option instead of "try".

If it was video card problem why i can boot from windows usb drive and install until the end?
I can't check the usb because after i clic on "Check disc for defects" appear black screen (only) and the same usb drive boot and works on laptop so the usb is ok. I believe that is something about my desktop but i didnt change nothing.