PDA

View Full Version : Ktorrent 2.0 is out.

GarethMB
August 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I'm trying to build the source now. I'll post a .deb if i'm successful.
The Release Client was great, so i'm guessing the final will also be spankingly good.

GarethMB
August 9th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I've made a .deb. No promises, this is the first time i've shared anything i've built from source. http://rapidshare.de/files/28757308/ktorrent-2.0i386.deb.html

I couldn't install using sudo spkg -i ktorrent2.02i386.deb as i needed to overwrite some file :S so i used

sudo dpkg -i --force-all ktorrent-2.0i386.deb

If anyone does install it. Let me know how it is.:idea:

irober02
August 13th, 2006, 04:39 AM
I've just installed your package and it seems to have worked. Thanks. :-)

I was a bit scared of the force install option but I did it anyway and it seems to be OK.

I had tried compiling my own ktorrent2 but its configure script failed:

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

Did you have that problem? How did you fix it? (I thought I'd installed all the dev packages I need -perhaps I've missed something)

bye

ian

flaak_monkey
August 13th, 2006, 06:39 AM
how would you guys compare this to Azereus? I have always used it and found none better. But i would like an opion on Ktorrent.

NeoChaosX
August 13th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Gareth: The reason your package needs a force install is because it doesn't replace the default ktorrent package in Ubuntu; rather it installs as ktorrent-2.0, completely seperate from the Ubuntu package. Could you try repackaging the deb so it replaces, and not conflicts with, the current KTorrent package?

GarethMB
August 13th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I've just installed your package and it seems to have worked. Thanks. :-)

I was a bit scared of the force install option but I did it anyway and it seems to be OK.

I had tried compiling my own ktorrent2 but its configure script failed:

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

Did you have that problem? How did you fix it? (I thought I'd installed all the dev packages I need -perhaps I've missed something)

bye

ianI have had this problem before, you need something like xlibs-dev or libx-dev

how would you guys compare this to Azereus? I have always used it and found none better. But i would like an opion on Ktorrent.Azureus never works well on Ubuntu for me. I always have problems with sticky popups etc. Ktorrent is pretty fully featured as of 2.0 and in my opinion the best compromise of features and usuability at present.

Gareth: The reason your package needs a force install is because it doesn't replace the default ktorrent package in Ubuntu; rather it installs as ktorrent-2.0, completely seperate from the Ubuntu package. Could you try repackaging the deb so it replaces, and not conflicts with, the current KTorrent package?
I can try. Do you know how to do it?

CronoDekar
August 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I was thinking that too, but I compiled from source and named the package ktorrent, and it still needed a --force-overwrite to work.

Gareth: Supposing you make the deb with checkinstall, one of the options will be something like "Package Name" and will default to ktorrent-2.0. Hit the appropriate number and make it ktorrent.

stoeptegel
August 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM
You might come away with replacing the "x-bittorrent.desktop" file with the one out of kdelibs. Not sure though.

atrus123
August 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM
how would you guys compare this to Azereus? I have always used it and found none better. But i would like an opion on Ktorrent.

Ktorrent is the best torrent manager, period (and I don't even like KDE). Azereus provides about the same level of control, but it's slower and clunkier, and it seems to argue with Ubuntu from time to time.

However, I usually just use bittorrent.

ivasic
August 21st, 2006, 10:11 PM
Fresh 2.0.1 release introduces several bugfixes for 2.0 series as well as some performance improvements.

Grab the sources&packages at www.ktorrent.org

jdong
August 21st, 2006, 11:20 PM
ktorrent 2.0 is in Edgy. Package backports cleanly to Dapper, so please build it that way. The packages posted on ktorrent's website also look fairly safe, though they are generated with checkinstall.

stoeptegel
August 29th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Hey guys, i just noticed that KTorrent 2.0.2 is out.

jdong
August 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/ktorrent/+bug/58139

Noticed it, already filed a request to get it into Edgy and ready to backport.

closet geek
August 30th, 2006, 10:49 AM
2.0.2 is a necessity *waits*

cg

GarethMB
August 30th, 2006, 11:25 AM
If anyone can't wait, I've built it. I've called it ktorrent, so in theory it should replace the version in the repos, but if it doesn't you will need to use sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite. It shouldn't do any harm.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7A0AD50871D6929E

closet geek
August 30th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks, it installed fine but the bug is still present for me. Downloads of seemingly any torrent just keeps flicking between 3-6Kb/s and 0Kb/s. It can never seem to keep a consistent speed/connection. All my port forwarding is working fine, other clients work fine.

Grrrr.

cg

GarethMB
August 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM
What ports are you using?

closet geek
August 30th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Why do you ask?

cg

Christmas
August 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM
KTorrent 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 both give me some error at the "make" command, even though I compiled and installed GMP.

GarethMB
August 30th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Why do you ask?

cgI thought perhaps you might be using a port know for file sharing and
my be suffering from ISP bandwith shaping. Or perhaps antoher program is using the port. If you don't want to tell me it doesn't matter.

closet geek
August 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I thought perhaps you might be using a port know for file sharing and
my be suffering from ISP bandwith shaping. Or perhaps antoher program is using the port. If you don't want to tell me it doesn't matter.

No harshness intended I was just curious as to why you were asking. As I say, BT is running fine for me with other clients, even uTorrent via wine. It seems there is still a bug in even this latest kTorrent release. I will look into filing a but report.

cg

ivasic
October 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Third bugfix release to 2.0 series.

Dapper packages & sources are available on www.ktorrent.org
Official dapper/edgy packages will be available on repositories soon.