PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean Upgrade to 16.04 - how to install same apps as in old install

SBFree
June 15th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Hi:
I've would like to make the move to 16.04 and install the same apps as I have been using in 14.04. Is there an automated way to do this?
Thanks,
scott

Frogs Hair
June 15th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Upgrade or clean installation ?

SBFree
June 15th, 2016, 03:30 PM
I've been in the habit of doing a clean install. Is that unnecessary?
I would welcome an opinion about upgrade in place vs clean install.
Thanks - Scott

Impavidus
June 15th, 2016, 04:44 PM
If the system is reasonably clean, an upgrade is quite reliable. I've done many and only had minor problems a few times. But if the system is not clean, it's less reliable. Make sure that you disable any third-party repositories and proprietary drivers, if you have any. Although I think it should do so automatically.

Note that the upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 will only be officially available 21 July.

To get the same software packages after a clean install, you could run
dpkg --get-selections > package.txton the old system to get a list of installed packages in the file package.txt. On the new system, run
sudo dpkg --set-selections < package.txt
sudo apt-get dselect-upgradeto install the same packages. You may be able to make it even cleaner by using apt-mark (I haven't read the manual, but you can try) to get the right packages marked as manually installed. And of course, some packages may no longer be available or replaced by others.