PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 16.04 much slower than previous

gustavolaufer
June 13th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Hello Fellows,

I had been using the Ubuntu 14.10 LTS for a long time, but two weeks ago I decided to check "what is new in 16.04". The upgrade had success, and no major problem happened. However, now the initialisation and turning it off is taking a LONG time, more than 2 minutes! Before, I believe it took 30 seconds.

Well, I have been investigating this a lot , and I found out many "ways" to improve boot time but no good results. It is still taking more than 2 minutes.

Some interesting fact is that, when I boot showing the commands it is hold for a long time in:

A start job running for detect the available GPUs and deal ....

I searched a lot about that, and I have attached the system-analyze blame in this thread, which shows a LONG time for the gpu-manager, much longer than other reports that I could find in the internet. So, there is something wrong here. But I do not know how to fix.

Moreover, another issue that I noticed while booting was

started update UMTP ..... fail LSB ... printing
Actually I DO NOT HAVE ANY printer, when I need, I use PDF. Thus I have even removed CUPS from the initialisation in order to see it it help, though it has not.

Eventually, I provided the lshw and the logs which were generated today (/var/logs/).

I hope someone can help me or has already faced similar situation.

oldfred
June 13th, 2016, 09:06 PM
At grub menu when booting try each of these options:
# Usually Intel works with one of these:
i915.modeset=0
i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
video=1280x1024-24@60 # but change to your monitor size not 1280x1024
video=VGA-1:1280x1024-24@60 # but change to your monitor size

You add each like nomodeset.

At grub menu you can use e for edit, scroll to linux line and replace quiet splash with nomodeset.
How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 - both BIOS liveCD & grub first boot ( also UEFI with grub)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Are you running 32bit?

gustavolaufer
June 14th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Yes, I am running a 32 bit.

I am going to try the NOMODESET next boot.

gustavolaufer
June 14th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Yes, I am running a 32 bit.

I did not find any VIDEO parameter in the boot/command line nor in the /etc/default/grub. So I did not change anything.

IT REALLY SPEED UP THE SYSTEM! BUT .....

My resolution should be 1366x768 though the Unity is showing 1024x768 with no other option.
I lost the graphic accelerator... the compiz is working not as well as before. I believe that the ATI Mobility Radeon stopped working.

Well... that fixed the slowness but created a video problem...

oldfred
June 14th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Did you try this instead of nomodeset?

video=VGA-1:1366x768-24@60

gustavolaufer
June 15th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Well, unfortunately, it displayed the proper resolution but it is as slow as in the beginning.

mastablasta
June 15th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Well, unfortunately, it displayed the proper resolution but it is as slow as in the beginning.

what is the GPU chip?

edit: sorry, didn't se the lshw file:

-cpu
produto: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz

*-display
descrição: VGA compatible controller
produto: Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
fabricante: Intel Corporation
ID físico: 2
informações do barramento: pci@0000:00:02.0
versão: 12
largura: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capacidades: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuração: driver=i915 latency=0
recursos: irq:26 memória:d8000000-d83fffff memória:c0000000-cfffffff porta de E/S:4050(tamanho=8)

are the drivers working propperly even? do they provide hardware acceleration? i think this test should work on intel as well.

Make sure your OpenGL renderer string does not say "software rasterizer" or "llvmpipe" because that would mean you have no 3D hardware acceleration:
sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo

you could try upgrading them as it seems that i915 has some issues in 16.04 on certain kernels.: http://askubuntu.com/questions/766931/how-to-change-graphics-driver-in-16-04-from-i915-to-open-source-driver

did you use any special setting before on 14.04?
http://askubuntu.com/questions/136593/how-can-i-fix-broken-i915-drivers-for-intel-gpus

RobGoss
June 18th, 2016, 02:08 AM
I didn't see your specs posted here in the OP it might help others if we knew what your machines is running

gustavolaufer
June 25th, 2016, 01:03 AM
@RobGoss,
I did not understand what you meant. Could you tell me what information do you need, and how I can get it?

@mastablasta,
Your comment makes sense, though I am using a Intel Core i3, and the link that you sent is referring to a AMD64 one.

News about my case
I tried to install a new Ubuntu from scratch....
So I saved all my /home and formatted it

The installation had success though the issue seems to be WORSE!

Doing a systemd-analyze blame, I got the following:

1min 38.934s apparmor.service
1min 33.449s plymouth-read-write.service
1min 720ms gpu-manager.service <--- it seems to be worse
57.820s plymouth-quit-wait.service
9.777s dev-sda4.device
... and more rows with some more seconds

Actually... during the morning, I wake up, turn on the computer, and go out and have breakfast... and eventually when I return to the computer it has turned on completely... I'm kidding.... but the boot time takes about THREE MINUTES. And I disable all uneeded stuff.

Please tell me what "report" you need, and how to get it... I will do that right away!

Thanks community

X-RED_Tech
June 26th, 2016, 06:40 PM
I hope you didn't install a 32-bit Ubuntu in such modern 62-bit machine.

RobGoss
June 26th, 2016, 06:46 PM
It's best to provide what specs your machines has so people know what kind of hardware you have

I did not understand what you meant. Could you tell me what information do you need, and how I can get it?

Run this commad:

lshw

Use the code tags when posting the out put

banceu_sergiu_ione
June 26th, 2016, 07:31 PM
@mastablasta,Your comment makes sense, though I am using a Intel Core i3, and the link that you sent is referring to a AMD64 one.

AMD64 its made for both Intel and AMD.
AMD64 it say you are going to install something that have to do with 86_64bit architecture and its not part of AMD you know. If you not believe then got for the i385 which is a 32bit architecture but then not wonder why its slower.

@mastablasta point you on the right way by upgrading your graphic driver may or not resolve it, and I would add that you can try use padoka PPA Paulo Dias (https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/mesa)/ to do it.