PDA

View Full Version : free project contribution

chuchi
June 12th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Hi there!

I would like to collaborate to a C/C++ (preferably C++) free source project to improve my C/C++ skills. But I am completely lost and I do not know where to start.

Could you please guide me? Or recommend me any link or any information where I can start?

Thanks a lot!

TheFu
June 14th, 2016, 03:10 PM
a) find any open source project using the language you want to engage. What itch do you have to scratch?
b) find the source repository for it. Check github, freecode, and other source repos online.
c) review the license the code is released under. Can you live with it? Do you like it or not? If not, walk away. Licensing is important and a personal decision.
d) Look through the bug list. Maybe they are marked as easy to difficult? Pick an easy one to fix.
e) pull the source, compile it, use the same version control system they use, fix the bug, send a ¨pull request¨ to the project maintainer using the normal method for that project.

Oh - almost forgot - ALWAYS READ THE README FILES in every folder.

github.com

And for some interesting reading ...
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06/college-student-schools-govs-and-mils-on-perils-of-arbitrary-code-execution/