PDA

View Full Version : Help getting an Ubuntu / Linux Laptop.

aktiwers
August 9th, 2006, 08:19 AM
I am about to start on my new school very soon, and want to buy a Linux compatible Laptop. Can anyone help me find one?

I have a few requirements

1) I would like to have between 1 - 2 gb of Ram (and some pretty good ones)

2) I want a fast CPU. A 64-bit or duo core? I dont know much about the support for each CPU and which one is better than the other.

3) I want the largest 7200RPM Hardisc I can get. (or next largest)

4) And a offboard video card. (the video card doesnt need to be that good though)

I need the Laptop to be as cheap as possible (offcause :razz:), so if anyone knows a good cheap place or 2 on the Net, I would be glad to know about them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really appriciate any help.

Thanks

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and without Windows pree-installed too.. offcause ;)
Thanks alot

mostwanted
August 9th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I am about to start on my new school very soon, and want to buy a Linux compatible Laptop. Can anyone help me find one?

I have a few requirements

1) I would like to have between 1 - 2 gb of Ram (and some pretty good ones)

2) I want a fast CPU. A 64-bit or duo core? I dont know much about the support for each CPU and which one is better than the other.

3) I want the largest 7200RPM Hardisc I can get. (or next largest)

4) And a offboard video card. (the video card doesnt need to be that good though)

I need the Laptop to be as cheap as possible (offcause :razz:), so if anyone knows a good cheap place or 2 on the Net, I would be glad to know about them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really appriciate any help.

Thanks

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and without Windows pree-installed too.. offcause ;)
Thanks alot

Personally, I got an ASUS V6J which is fairly expensive, but works great with Ubuntu (and it looks slim&great!). My brother just ordered a laptop from Zepto for about 10 000 KR and it had a 2ghz core duo - they even notified him that he could get 2 gigs of ram and a 100 harddisk for free or very cheap after he'd ordered it (which he did).

Tag et kig på Zeptos laptops. De kan købes uden Windows, så vidt jeg ved, og er sindssygt billige sammenlignet med de specs man får.

x64Jimbo
August 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM
your requirements list is quite long for "as cheap as possible."
Also, the only machines that don't have the mandatory Windows tax are the ones designed for large businesses that have site licenses for OS's.
The specs on your proposed system are aiso much better suited to a desktop than a iaptop.

3rdalbum
August 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
If you want a faster CPU, get a dual-core processor rather than a 64-bit one.

mips
August 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Get a Thinkpad T60p and order it to your specs. They will be shipping with Linux soonor already do. There is athread about it in the cafe somewhere.

aktiwers
August 9th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Get a Thinkpad T60p and order it to your specs. They will be shipping with Linux soonor already do. There is athread about it in the cafe somewhere.

Thanks alot for your suggestions! More are still welcome.

Mostwanted - thanks alot! I have already been to Zepto and looked, and even picked one I like, but im not sure Ubuntu will support the hardware?

This is the one I have been looking on: (I translated it from Danish)

This is bassic:
Centrino™ NAPA teknnology
Intel® 945PM / ICH7-M Chipset
15.4" WXGA+ Crystal Clear 1280x800
nVidia Geforce Go 7600 256MB graphics
Intel® Pentium™ M Yonah 1.66~2.33 GHz
DDRII dual channel (533/667) max 2048MB
3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x Firewire, 1 x VGA out
Sound in- and out, 1 x TV port, 1 x Express Card
Build in .3i1 Card reader, Fingerprint scanner
Buildin 1.3M Pixel webcam
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
100/1000 Megabit network, 56K modem
360mm x 265mm x 32mm, 3.1 kg W/batI then upgrade these parts too this:

2.00 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo T7200 4MB
2048MB (2x1024) DDR2 PC5300 - 667MHZ
100GB 7200RPM. SATA Hitachi
High Performance 9 Cell (2x25W) 70% more batterity
And with no OS

http://zepto.dk/Default.aspx?page=Configurator&configurationid=H28wtzBkis5eMY

Will this hardware work painless under Ubuntu? Thanks a lot!!

x64Jimbo
August 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
that's quite a lot of machine there. If you want to save a few kr, look at the AMD Turion 64 X2 (my avatar)
It's dual core and 64 bit AND doesn't feed the Intel Greed Machine.

aktiwers
August 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM
that's quite a lot of machine there. If you want to save a few kr, look at the AMD Turion 64 X2 (my avatar)
It's dual core and 64 bit AND doesn't feed the Intel Greed Machine.

Thanks I will have a look at that now.
But one question.. Doesnt AMD get real hot in a laptop? I have some friends with AMD Laptops, that has bad experiance with this.

But I will look it up, thanks for the tip :)

Also, can anyone tell me if the Laptop I posted above is compatible with Linux / Ubuntu ? And maybe XGL?

Thanks a lot for help so fare guys!

mips
August 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I'm a big supporter of AMD but their modile CPU's are not on the same level as Intel's Core due for laptops. I always support AMD but not for mobile procesors just yet, things will change in future though. Just have a look at the T60p.

aktiwers
August 9th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm a big supporter of AMD but their modile CPU's are not on the same level as Intel's Core due for laptops. I always support AMD but not for mobile procesors just yet, things will change in future though. Just have a look at the T60p.

I just had a look at some of the T60p Laptops.. They look really nice!
They are about $400-$500 more expensive than the one I posted above.. how come? They look very similar? Is it because the T60p's uses ATI Video card?

Mips - Do you know if the one I posted above is supported by Ubuntu? And maybe XGL too? :D

mips
August 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I just had a look at some of the T60p Laptops.. They look really nice!
They are about $400-$500 more expensive than the one I posted above.. how come? They look very similar? Is it because the T60p's uses ATI Video card?

Mips - Do you know if the one I posted above is supported by Ubuntu? And maybe XGL too? :D

Thinkpads are renowned for their durability and reliabilty. imho there is no better laptop out there. I made the mistake of settling for less and got a HP but I regret not getting a Thinkpad. IBM has had a history of very good linux support. Besides that the Thinkpad community has excellant support in the form of http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki that no other brand comes close to and is totally linux based.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=229588 is the thread I was refering to. Either way regardless of the model I believe you will have almost zero hassles if you buy a Thinkpad.

If you like the above advise and would like to show your appreciation you can ship one T60p to my address ;)

I wish you all the best.

Apparently Zepto is expensive for what you get, beyond that I cannot comment.

jamwithbutter
August 10th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Ok im going to tell the the best laptops that you can get
Sager. They are made by clevo. They are the same as a alienware computer. Alienware laptops are also made by clevo... But the sagers are cheaper and you get more for the money. But they are expensive. Expect to fork out about 1300 to 2000 for a top of the line system...
But if you want cheap and works good. And even runs cool.
The laptop that you want to buy is an acer 3620. You can get it at walmart for 500 bucks. I have one and I am running a dual boot with xp and ubuntu with xgl and compiz installed. Runs really well. I comes with 512 ram. But you can upgrade it to a 1 gig. for about another 50 bucks. And it comes with a 40 gig drive. If you need more you should buy a external drive convertor for about 20 bucks and put a big drive in it. But anyway it runs really cool. And it only weighs about 5 pounds.

poofyhairguy
August 10th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Whatever you do, don't get an ATI card in it. You can't swap those out and ATI's drivers are still the worst. An Intel GPU with its 100% open drivers are better for Linux than ATI (unless soon AMD opens the ATI drivers too....but I would not bet on it too soon.) Honestly I personally would just wait till the new Meroms get cheap...by then the Intel GMA3000's will be out that should be able to match or beat most current low end Nvidia and ATI cards.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-August/017404.html