PDA

View Full Version : Ext HDD does not connect when backup selected in 14.04

mushistereck
June 5th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Whe I try to do a backup to the ext HDD it sdays it cannot do it until the drive is connected. How do I connect?
Using 14.04 and formatted NTFS. Tried ext4 and Fat 32 but no joy

DuckHook
June 5th, 2016, 07:51 AM
In Linux, drives must be mounted before they are accessible as file systems. Most external drives will mount if you try accessing them with Nautilus. Just click on the icon representing the drive in your file manager.

Unless you are accessing the drive from Windows, it is not wise to keep it formatted as NTFS. This file system is not native to Linux and there is less support for it. ext4 is the best choice, although there are now many others, most of which also lack the same extent of tools that exist for ext4.

mushistereck
June 6th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Tried ext4. No change. When I start Backup to the ext drive it says"Drive is not connected". It shows up in gparted OK.

DuckHook
June 6th, 2016, 03:01 AM
Tried ext4. No change. When I start Backup to the ext drive it says"Drive is not connected". It shows up in gparted OK.

But did you mount it first?

In Linux, drives must be mounted before they are accessible as file systems. Most external drives will mount if you try accessing them with Nautilus. Just click on the icon representing the drive in your file manager...