PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LibreOffice very slow on Ubuntu 16.04

jdhamric
June 3rd, 2016, 10:41 PM
Upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 a while back & LibreOffice was obviously upgraded at the same time. Since then, LibreOffice has been very slow/unresponsive, greying out for extended periods at times. This is despite the size of the file (so it's not specifically related to another post here). I uninstalled/re-installed, purged/reinstalled & purged/installed the recent RC version all with the same result. It worked fine with Ubuntu 15.10 & the previous LO version. I have configured LO according to most suggestions (checking/unchecking graphics settings, etc.) with no change. I have noticed that without libreoffice-gtk it seemed much faster, but looked like something out of 1992.

I have a Toshiba C55t laptop with integrated Intel graphics.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

vasa1
June 4th, 2016, 03:04 AM
... I uninstalled/re-installed, purged/reinstalled & purged/installed the recent RC version all with the same result. ...
Uninstalling/reinstalling may not achieve much if the debs are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives. They'll just be reused.

Also, purging doesn't affect your profile which just possibly may the source of the problem. Have you tried a new profile (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile)?

Are these files created ab initio in LibreOffice?

jdhamric
June 4th, 2016, 03:22 PM
vasa1--

I renamed the .libroffice folder entirely with no change in behavior. I restored the old .libreoffice folder, renamed "user" & opened up a file with no improvement. A
ll files I have used have been created under previous versions of LO to date.

vasa1
June 4th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Did you mean "~/.config/libreoffice/4/user"? BTW, I too have integrated graphics without any GPU. I prefer to start LibreOffice using gtk2 instead of gtk3. gtk2 seems less taxing in some respects:
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk libreoffice --calc

jdhamric
June 4th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Did you mean "~/.config/libreoffice/4/user"? BTW, I too have integrated graphics without any GPU. I prefer to start LibreOffice using gtk2 instead of gtk3. gtk2 seems less taxing in some respects:
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk libreoffice --calc

Yep, tried that. No difference.

dkeats
June 11th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I am having the same thing since a few days ago. Have tried everything short of going back to 15.10. Downgraded LO to previous version, upgraded to unstable, uninstalled and installed OpenOffice. They all do the same thing, which makes me think it is a bug somewhere else, not in Libreoffice itself.

dkeats
June 11th, 2016, 06:20 PM
I don't know if this is helpful, but in my case, I found that something during an update had set the graphics driver back to Nouveau. I re-installed the latest proprietary Nvidia driver, and that seems to have fixed the problem, I hope!

lliseil
June 12th, 2016, 12:37 AM
If LO keeps being #!¤@ slow upon (temporarily) removing its existing profile, or better on a "test user" session then we'll know for sure it's system related, and not to LO settings.

For the record LO loads a heavilly formatted and annotated 350 pages document in 20 seconds on my six years old Atom netbook (which has no nVIdia Titan hi hi hi but the extremely pitiful Intel 945 integrated GPU).

vasa1
June 12th, 2016, 02:08 AM
For the record LO loads a heavilly formatted and annotated 350 pages document in 20 seconds on my six years old Atom netbook (which has no nVIdia Titan hi hi hi but the extremely pitiful Intel 945 integrated GPU).
Hi,
could you please share the output from

lsb_release -a
and

apt-cache policy libreoffice

lliseil
June 12th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Arch GNU/Linux rolling
_

Small correction: document used for test is 250 pages only and 550k characters and I set it to use gtk. LO-fresh 5.1 (re)loads in 18 (14) sec on the netbook. ABout the same with LO-still.

@jdhamric can you please confirm you tried starting LO:
- on a *newly created* user session (to get rid of possibly annoying older user's session/Unity settings)
- with Java (jre) unactivated.

jdhamric
June 18th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Arch GNU/Linux rolling
_

Small correction: document used for test is 250 pages only and 550k characters and I set it to use gtk. LO-fresh 5.1 (re)loads in 18 (14) sec on the netbook. ABout the same with LO-still.

@jdhamric can you please confirm you tried starting LO:
- on a *newly created* user session (to get rid of possibly annoying older user's session/Unity settings)
- with Java (jre) unactivated.

1. De-activating Java makes no difference in current user session.
2. LO is snappy in a newly created user session!

jdhamric
June 30th, 2016, 05:10 PM
So another interesting point--

I created a new (simple) spreadsheet & everything worked quickly; no lags/unresponsiveness in data entry, moving to another cell, etc. Saved the file & closed it. Reopened it & the problem is back!

Another thing--checkboxes in the options are all in white & hard to see. I'm using a RAVE-X theme and switching to a Radiance-based theme makes the LO icons hard to see (Sifr). To me this points to a GTK problem.

Anybody got ANY ideas?

k-rob2
July 5th, 2016, 01:11 AM
So another interesting point--

I created a new (simple) spreadsheet & everything worked quickly; no lags/unresponsiveness in data entry, moving to another cell, etc. Saved the file & closed it. Reopened it & the problem is back!

Another thing--checkboxes in the options are all in white & hard to see. I'm using a RAVE-X theme and switching to a Radiance-based theme makes the LO icons hard to see (Sifr). To me this points to a GTK problem.

Anybody got ANY ideas?

I'm experiencing the same problem. Ubuntu 16.04, 16gb ram, fast drive with lots of space... Kernel 4.6.2.

peter-rozenbottels
September 8th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I am experiencing the same problem since I upgraded my laptop to 16.04 leaving it pretty useless to me. I need to make a lot of presentations and simply can't: just adding a slide or saving the document takes forever.

This is a real problem becaue I want to upgrade the other PC's in my office. The problem seems to be with GTK, there is a workaround here http://askubuntu.com/questions/785417/why-is-libreoffice-so-slow-when-used-in-ubuntu-16-04 but I don't want a win'95 like look.

Can this issue be solved?

mörgæs
September 9th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Which Buntu are you using? If you are using Lubuntu please click the old hardware link in my signature and search in the guide for flicker.

May work for other Buntus too.

It's not my invention. I just stumbled upon the idea and tested it with good results.

pablosquared
September 9th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I had the same problem in the last couple of weeks - very laggy when scrolling spreadsheets etc. I upgraded yesterday to v5.2.1.2, the "Fresh" version, following Joey's instructions on omgubuntu:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/install-libreoffice-5-2-on-ubuntu-ppa

Problem solved for me - back to speedy scrolling, menu opening etc.

HTH
PP

jdhamric
October 2nd, 2016, 06:11 PM
I installed the latest version of LO today along with libreoffice-gtk2 & libreoffice-gnome. Without libreoffice-gnome LO is slow & "grays-out" periodically. With libreoffice-gnome LO is a little quicker but my best results are still without any libreoffice-gtk version installed.