PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fresh install, Software Updater hangs - command line alternative?

jub2
June 2nd, 2016, 09:14 PM
I find that it's a toss-up whether Software Updater will complete or hang on the long initial update after a fresh install.

How can I accomplish this via the command line?

sudo get-apt updateWill that do it, or do I also need to run

sudo get-apt upgrade

Also, on the restart immediately after a fresh install, a message box pops up "Incomplete Language Support" with the option to "Run this action now".

Seems strange that a LTS distribution (Xubuntu 16.04 64-bit) would have something like that as incomplete. Wondering if this is normal. Language selected during install is US English.

ajgreeny
June 2nd, 2016, 10:17 PM
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade should do it; you had the apt-get reversed.

As for the language message you saw, I am not sure of the reason, but it may be that you did not choose to install updates as you carried out the installation, or perhaps you did not have a network connection, which would have been necessary for that. You will have chosen a language, but there are so many available that the system always seems to think that more would be iseful. I personally ignore that message as long as I have the English_UK version, as that is all I ever need or use; your situation may be different of course, particularly if you have users who want different keyboard layouts.

I always update after installing and also add the third party applications needed, eg for mp3 playback, etc etc, as I then get just what I want and need.

jub2
June 2nd, 2016, 10:37 PM
Thanks. So what does this do?

sudo apt-get upgrade

I want to stay on the LTS version of Xubuntu (16.04) and not upgrade beyond that.

I was not connected to the network, so you're probably right about the language message.

QIII
June 2nd, 2016, 10:41 PM
Hello!

upgrade and dist-upgrade upgrade the packages within the current release. They do not upgrade the release itself to the next. 14.04 stays 14.04 and 16.04 stays 16.04.

jub2
June 2nd, 2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks. So I should run the following and that's the equivalent of running Software Updater?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Edit: doing some reading and it looks like just executing apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade is sufficient, as the latter's function is a superset of apt-get upgrade's function.