PDA

View Full Version : I have a confession

izznogooood
June 1st, 2016, 12:22 AM
I strayed from the path...

I decided to try arch, or antergos to be more precise. I cleared some space installed antegros (without bootloader). Went back in to Ubuntu and "update-grub2", it found antegros (as expected).
I struggled to find a desktop i was comfortable in and finally I ended up with Gnome3. I found some tweaks moving the "quick-launcher" thingy permanently visible. I have not found a way to move the window buttons to the left side yet... It all kind of ended up in a mix between osX and Unity. which is a nice combination but not really necessary with a spread sheet app view. I did like the fact the icons spread from center and not from the top and downwards. My main concern was my addiction to the "special" key for launching applications. This works out of the box in Gnome3 (I did not know that). I miss the notification icons in the top right corner! I really have no idea whats open or running in the background. I don't need to know, but I still miss that. The package-manager works pretty well and is easy to use, there's no software center but there's a Synaptic equivalent.

Here's the thing, I keep trying to make things look and feel like Unity. In fact that's all I've been doing since I installed it. I must admit the polishing of gnome3 is far better than Unity. Things just look better. And I'ts nice to have actual clickable notifications, whether its updates or mails. There where many small things that is considered acceptable in Ubuntu which was on a whole other level on arch, but as of this moment. Ubuntu is stil hanging on. I just hope Unity will look as good as gnome3 next time around...
But for me Unity is a far more efficient working environment. I usually have many windows open at the same time on different workspaces and at least one VM running.

Packages were new and fresh but this is also fairly easy to set up in Ubuntu ass well.

Well, this turned out to be more of a talk about gnome, but anyway: I had no idea i was so addicted to Unity!

vasa1
June 1st, 2016, 05:35 AM
It's antergos ;)

And this whole buttons on the left or right ... I've left all that behind and just use the keyboard.

June 1st, 2016, 01:55 PM
As I said before "Ubuntu Unity" has a cursed meaning & mystery affect. :cool:
Once you start with it you'll never get part with it.
No matter anywhere you go the unity layout will keep
haunting your conscious & you'll get a flash back of Unity desktop.
Soon later you've found out no matter DE you choose on the other Linux distro.
You desktop have already became top panel & left dash without even notice.
~Unity ~Unity ~Unity United back once full again like a boomerang.:twisted:

Also why some ppl fled to Debian because they've enough of unity haunting their minds.
Or to think that Unity is a main Linux DE. In opposite if you think Unity DE is the absolute
then there's no point to run other Linux distro or other DE.
Because no matter how is there any Unity DE Linux respin
they made you'll feel like they're making a cloning sheep of Ubuntu Unity.:lol:
Unlike other DE no matter how they make you feel the difference per respin like human face.

Lucky I don't inherit this curse like most everyone else that start the first distro with Ubuntu.
because I was start from Q4OS & Fedora before run Ubuntu 12.04 till 16.04 now.):P

deadflowr
June 1st, 2016, 06:42 PM
There's a path?

montag dp
June 2nd, 2016, 03:59 AM
It's just what you're used to. Nothing wrong with that. Good on you for trying something else out though. But if you need Unity, you'll have to stick with Ubuntu, because it's pretty much impossible to run it on any other distro. That's what I've heard, at least. I think they heavily patch some common libraries, making it incompatible with other distros that don't include the same patches.

SantaFe
June 2nd, 2016, 04:26 AM
As I said before "Ubuntu Unity" has a cursed meaning & mystery affect. :cool:
Once you start with it you'll never get part with it.
No matter anywhere you go the unity layout will keep
haunting your conscious & you'll get a flash back of Unity desktop.
Soon later you've found out no matter DE you choose on the other Linux distro.
You desktop have already became top panel & left dash without even notice.
~Unity ~Unity ~Unity United back once full again like a boomerang.:twisted:

Also why some ppl fled to Debian because they've enough of unity haunting their minds.
Or to think that Unity is a main Linux DE. In opposite if you think Unity DE is the absolute
then there's no point to run other Linux distro or other DE.
Because no matter how is there any Unity DE Linux respin
they made you'll feel like they're making a cloning sheep of Ubuntu Unity.:lol:
Unlike other DE no matter how they make you feel the difference per respin like human face.

Lucky I don't inherit this curse like most everyone else that start the first distro with Ubuntu.
because I was start from Q4OS & Fedora before run Ubuntu 12.04 till 16.04 now.):P

The following is in jest & not meant to be taken too seriously. ;)

"Once you start with it you'll never get part with it.".... Not me, around Ubuntu 12.10, Xubuntu & later Ubuntu-MATE became my best friends. ;)

"...you'll get a flash back of Unity desktop." Funny, seems more like nightmares.

"no matter DE you choose on the other Linux distro.
You desktop have already became top panel & left dash without even notice." In my case it's bottom panel & top Cairo-Dock, so in this case we're somewhat the same in setting up new distros. ;)

The other day I had a Unity using friend over, and I was trying out the Mutiny interface in MATE-Tweak which looks a lot like Unity. I had him going pretty well, as I asked him why he was having so much trouble moving the Unity panel around and then showed him I could have the panel on the left, bottom, right & top. Of course I finally admitted it was Ubuntu-MATE & not Ubuntu. ;)

mikodo
June 2nd, 2016, 06:30 AM
The other day I had a Unity using friend over, and I was trying out the Munity interface in MATE-Tweak which looks a lot like Unity. I had him going pretty well, as I asked him why he was having so much trouble moving the Unity panel around and then showed him I could have the panel on the left, bottom, right & top. Of course I finally admitted it was Ubuntu-MATE & not Ubuntu. ;)hahaha!

June 2nd, 2016, 08:52 AM
The following is in jest & not meant to be taken too seriously. ;)

"Once you start with it you'll never get part with it.".... Not me, around Ubuntu 12.10, Xubuntu & later Ubuntu-MATE became my best friends. ;)

"...you'll get a flash back of Unity desktop." Funny, seems more like nightmares.

"no matter DE you choose on the other Linux distro.
You desktop have already became top panel & left dash without even notice." In my case it's bottom panel & top Cairo-Dock, so in this case we're somewhat the same in setting up new distros. ;)

The other day I had a Unity using friend over, and I was trying out the Munity interface in MATE-Tweak which looks a lot like Unity. I had him going pretty well, as I asked him why he was having so much trouble moving the Unity panel around and then showed him I could have the panel on the left, bottom, right & top. Of course I finally admitted it was Ubuntu-MATE & not Ubuntu. ;)
:D Yep, Don't take it seriously, It's just a joke.
It's fun to stir some rumors with what was some happen real repeatably.
It's impossible for everyone doing the same things we're human anyway.
but still possibly some percentage of them wind up the same way.

You're similar as I do. Stay loyalty around with Xubuntu, Mate we already know their traits.
Even I use to observe 800+ of distro. None of Arch, Manjaro Xfce based
or other ubuntu respins like Mint, Zorin, Chalet was able to distract me.
I mean in that case I can just install the same things that
they have. Since every packages are like "lego puzzle".

P.S. I already draw Xubuntu 16.04 's Anime OS mascot should I post her in forum gallery?

ventrical
June 2nd, 2016, 01:27 PM
There's a path?

Some still don't realize that unity is a choice. ;)

Regards..

izznogooood
June 2nd, 2016, 11:26 PM
Haha, I was thinking more of the ubuntu core than unity ;). Anyhow, for me it turned out to be the right choice...