PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Software app in Xubuntu - not installing update

jub2
May 30th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Just installed Xubuntu 16.04 and ran Software Updater to apply the updates since the LTS release. Then rebooted. Then ran Software. In the Updates tab, it said that I had 1 update. I rechecked Software Updater, which confirmed that the system was up to date.

So I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy between Software Updater and Software. I went ahead and tried to install the update, but Software has been 'working' (spinning gear animation) for a long time.

I'm a Linux newbie and not sure how to safely proceed.

grahammechanical
May 30th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Ubuntu 16.04 has replaced the Ubuntu Software Centre with Ubuntu Software store which is based on Gnome Software store. I am not sure if Xubuntu has Ubuntu Software store or some other software store. But my guess is what you are seeing is a package that is held back for some reason. If we run these two commands we will see if there are any held back packages.

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Regards.

jub2
May 30th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Ubuntu 16.04 has replaced the Ubuntu Software Centre with Ubuntu Software store which is based on Gnome Software store. I am not sure if Xubuntu has Ubuntu Software store or some other software store. It's simply called 'Software'. I closed it out and restarted it, and still shows 1 update. It also takes forever to search on apps. And when I tried closing it while the app search was ongoing, it ended up freezing.

But my guess is what you are seeing is a package that is held back for some reason. If we run these two commands we will see if there are any held back packages.

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Regards.From apt update: "All packages are up to date."
From apt upgrade: "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

So I guess it's an issue with Xubuntu's 'Software' app. Sounds like I need to install and use a different software store app.