PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No caching mode page found - Stuck in some recovery loop

rpaskudniak
May 27th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Hi Family.

I have been browsing the forum and googling for this problem and many folks have something quite similar but none of the solutions seemed appropriate. So I'[m adding yet another plaint this problem to the pile. (Hey, this ain't corporate; I can use the word "problem"! ;-) )

I installed a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 a couple of weeks ago and it was never quite stable - often takes a few reboots (via GRUB) to get to the login screen. But now I have a nasty issue and can't boot Ubuntu at all. I get this set of messages, which I am copying by hand 'cause there's no way to capture the screen shot:
[ 3.027493] sd 8:0:0:0 [sdb] No caching mode page found
[ 3.027542] sd 8:0:0:0 [sdb] Assuming drive cache write through
[ 3.288588] sd 10:0:0:0 [sdg] Asking for cache data failed
[ 3.288638] sd 10:0:0:0n [sdg] Assuming drive cache write through
/dev/sda5 Clean 238090/2101248 files 1606214/8388608 blocks
Welcome to emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ^D to
try again to boot into default mode

Hey, according to gparted I have three drives:

/dev/sda, my main hard drive, wherein /dev/sda5 is my Ubuntu boot partition, a member of an extended partition, /dev/sda4
/dev/sdf, which is all NTFS, for my media and downloads
/dev/sdh, a Corsair 8GB USB thumb drive

I do not have drive sdb or sdg and I wish Ubuntu would stop worrying about them! I believe that is at the heart of the problem. But that's no reason not to throw in additional info that I have been able to salvage. :)

At one point I managed to get some kind of menu for diagnostics & maybe repair but I can't find my way back to that.

In any case, I was able to save the output of the journalctl command to a file - 1206 lines, about 101K. Due to this forum's constraint on file size for attachments I was unable to attach such a large file so I split it in 7 files of 180 lines each. But - another constraint - I cannot attach more than 5 files so I have xaa - xae attached here. If someone knows what to look for, they may be able to tell me what in blazes is happening.

I would prefer NOT to have to reinstall Ubuntu. This is the first time an install didn't destroy my Windows boot partition. (BTW, I have used a grub GUI to start Windows by default.)

<Sighh> A quote from Mark Twain: I didn't have time to write a short letter so I wrote a long one.