PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] fail to upgrade

nn2
May 27th, 2016, 02:30 AM
hello,
i just reinstalled ubuntu from an old cd and now i want to upgrade but i cannot download any files. i get a message "Fetching the upgrade failed. There may be a network problem." Internet connection is working ok. I cannot update either or install a language package.
:confused:

thank you

RobGoss
May 27th, 2016, 02:39 AM
hello,
i just reinstalled ubuntu from an old cd and now i want to upgrade but i cannot download any files. i get a message "Fetching the upgrade failed. There may be a network problem." Internet connection is working ok. I cannot update either or install a language package.
:confused:

thank you

I'm not sure what your asking here in your post you reinstall what version of Ubuntu?

Rather then upgrade from a old version of Ubuntu you just installed why not just do a fresh installation of the latest version of Ubuntu and save a lot of heartache

But I cannot download any files

What files are you trying to download?

"Fetching the upgrade failed. There may be a network problem." Internet

This message may be caused by the server you're using to connect for updating the system

grahammechanical
May 27th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Did you install a version of Ubuntu that has reached end of life? If so, the repositories for end of life versions are closed and that could be the reason for these error messages.

It is possible to upgrade from an end of life release to a supported release but it is not simple and it will depend on how many versions you are from a supported release and there is a definite risk of the upgrade breaking in some way.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Regards.

nn2
May 27th, 2016, 04:39 AM
i installed ubuntu 9.04 and cannot upgrade or update. I have internet connection so it's not network problem.

lisati
May 27th, 2016, 05:28 AM
I'd be inclined to get hold of a CD/DVD for a newer version of Ubuntu, if possible, and install from that.

As grahammechanical has pointed out, an upgrade can be done for older releases, but it can mean a lot of work that is time consuming and more prone to things going wrong.

nn2
May 27th, 2016, 09:47 AM
I am trying to burn a start up disc now. How can I do the upgrade without the cd if not from the update manager?

howefield
May 27th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Current versions won't fit a CD so you'll have to use a DVD or a USB memory stick to burn the image. Use this to install over the top of the existing 9.04 installation into the same partitions. If you select "something else" at the partitioning stage but not mark for formatting, your existing /home folder will be preserved.

nn2
June 1st, 2016, 07:14 AM
I wish I had seen this before I deleted everything :(
(I have partially backed up though)