PDA

View Full Version : JDK role in desktop environments

juan53
May 23rd, 2016, 11:54 PM
Hi gentlemen

I've never tryed out Kubuntu till a couple of weeks ago. That's when I did it, but without installing. I did that because I'm considering installing it on my laptop (despite the higher energy consumption... yes, I know...). So, the point of this post is that I realised that Kubuntu seems to come with JDK preinstalled. Does it? I guess Kde uses java to code those addons that you can put over the desktop, but I don't know. Would uninstall JDK let the interface keep running (without affecting too much its performance)? Do you know what the effect would be?

Apart form that, do you know which desktops would need java to run? (I guess that Mate, Xfce and Lfce are out of sin...)

Thanks for your time.

QIII
May 24th, 2016, 12:05 AM
Would you have any heartburn if one of the ladies answered, or shall we assume that since this is a tech support forum that everyone is male?

juan53
May 24th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Sorry about my lack of technical skills, but I'm a mere user. I'm not sure if I said a folly, but I have to know this because I want to keep java as far as I can. I don't want to have it installed. Despite the answer given to my post, I have to say in my favour, that at least I worry about learning computing, I'm triging to learn. Which it seems to me quite honorable.

QIII
May 24th, 2016, 12:34 AM
That's all well and good.

But why did you direct your question at the Gentlemen, when the Ladies may have an answer for you?

bashiergui
May 24th, 2016, 06:18 AM
That's all well and good.

But why did you direct your question at the Gentlemen, when the Ladies may have an answer for you?
Who'd a thunk it - chivalry is alive and kicking. On the internet even!
Hi gentlemen

I've never tryed out Kubuntu till a couple of weeks ago. That's when I did it, but without installing. I did that because I'm considering installing it on my laptop (despite the higher energy consumption... yes, I know...). So, the point of this post is that I realised that Kubuntu seems to come with JDK preinstalled. Does it? I guess Kde uses java to code those addons that you can put over the desktop, but I don't know. Would uninstall JDK let the interface keep running (without affecting too much its performance)? Do you know what the effect would be?

Apart form that, do you know which desktops would need java to run? (I guess that Mate, Xfce and Lfce are out of sin...)

Thanks for your time.kde is written in c++ and does not depend on java. No idea about the addons, they might know in the desktop environment forum.

lisati
May 24th, 2016, 06:57 AM
Thread moved to Desktop Environments.

oldos2er
May 24th, 2016, 04:26 PM
I want to keep java as far as I can. I don't want to have it installed.

So which is it? And forgive this off-topic question, but is English your native language? It might help others to better understand your posts if we know.

I checked http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/16.04/release/kubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.manifest, which shows java-common installed by default. According to its description it "...provides common tools for the Java runtimes, such as the update-java-alternatives mechanism used to switch between different versions of Java." So not at all a dependency of KDE.