PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Installation problems 14.04

Duff1234
May 22nd, 2016, 02:25 AM
I used to have ubuntu 14.04 installed on my computer that I built. I then tried out installing 16.04 but they did away with my FLXGR graphics or something to that effect so I could not get the resolution that I wanted for my TV that it is hooked up to. I then tried to reinstall 14.04 from my live USB that I keep on hand. It installs just fine and it tells me to restart then remove my media. I restart, access the bios and change the boot priority to the SSD that Ubuntu was installed on. It then gives me the same error message no matter what I do, "restart and select proper boot device" I have tried several times to erase the disk and install ubuntu again. Did not work. I have tried following instructions for loading the live USB and doing boot repairs for recommended and advanced options. Neither work. I have a URL showing whatever information the boot-info program provided
http://paste.ubuntu.com/16583836/ . If anyone can assist me in trying to find out how to resolve it so I can get my system to boot again I would be very grateful!

Duff1234
May 23rd, 2016, 04:11 AM
I seem to have solved my own problem. I'm not sure why something changed but I will describe how I fixed it to help anyone else who might come across it.

After scouring countless forums and options other people had tried for the same or similar problems, I found what solved it for me was changing my BIOS to boot only UEFI. Previously it was set to boot UEFI + Legacy and it had been working for years that way but for some reason it would not work for me now when trying to reinstall Ubuntu unless I changed the BIOS to only boot UEFI without the support for legacy booting. I hope this helps someone in the future without having to spend as many hours as I did searching for an answer.