PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to mount Blank DVD-R Disk

asigurnjak
May 21st, 2016, 01:39 PM
This is copy of my post from Mate forum whitch got no solution so far . If anyone here can help that would be great !
Mate 16.04 Ubuntu , when i put in dvd for burning this is message i get :
Unable to mount Blank DVD-R Disk
Also when trying to associate app with blank dvd options are grayed out like in 14.04 .
I have Brasero installed , it works fine , so far no problem burning data on dvd or blue-ray dvd .
Just do not like warning and not being able to set default app in file manager preferences .

Any idea will be apprecciated .

Also after initial install of Ubuntu Mate in menu bar places were not populated , should i report that as a bug .
Fix was easy , but still , it would be better if i did not need to fix it .
Here are screenshots for dvd issue and places before and after fix

Addendum :
Well , i just installed fresh Ubuntu Mate on spare laptop and i got same results . Unable to mount blank dvd and unpopulated places in a top bar.
It does not seems to be happening only on one pc and few folk on google plus say they experience exactly same issue . I now think these are bugs in Mate and do not know if this is limited to Ubuntu version .
Next i will download non-Debian-Ubuntu Mate install to confirm this and if still i get same results , i suppose it will be time for bug report .
Mate desktop is so sweet that these few little niggles should be ironed out so there will be no complaints "But this does not happen in OS X or Win X " !
Of to next step !
Just installed current Sabayon Mate and same situation , can not mount blank dvd and unpopulated places .
Of to figure out how to place bug report with Mate developers if there is not one already .
Any workarounds are welcome !

mcduck
May 21st, 2016, 08:24 PM
Well, the message is correct, you can't mount blank discs, as you mount filesystems, not devices or media, and a blank disc doesn't contain a filesystem.

That being said, getting a message about that seems pretty pointless, the blank disc should be ignored by everything else than a program capable of burning optical media.

kansasnoob
May 21st, 2016, 10:18 PM
It's a bug that's been ignored since 12.10:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glib2.0/+bug/1069964

asigurnjak
May 22nd, 2016, 02:28 AM
Well that make sense , thank you .:D
I loaded up dconf-editor and searched for media handling in gnome and mate section. I deselected all of the automount features and the annoying message has gone away (for now at least)..
This is quite , well , rude ! Ubuntu devs know there is something broken in gvfs, or gio , but have no intention of fixing it .
Maybe instead reinventing the wheel with Unity they could spend some time catching up with bug reports and sqashing them .
Having this as one of many issues they choose not to fix will not help Linux gain wider popularity .

mc4man
May 22nd, 2016, 11:02 AM
Well that make sense , thank you .:D
I loaded up dconf-editor and searched for media handling in gnome and mate section. I deselected all of the automount features and the annoying message has gone away (for now at least)..
This is quite , well , rude ! Ubuntu devs know there is something broken in gvfs, or gio , but have no intention of fixing it .
Maybe instead reinventing the wheel with Unity they could spend some time catching up with bug reports and sqashing them .
Having this as one of many issues they choose not to fix will not help Linux gain wider popularity .

This is a Gnome issue - try filing an upstream bug if you'd like some action on it.

asigurnjak
May 22nd, 2016, 01:16 PM
I suppose that is next step . It is same behaviour across distributions .