PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft broke my fathers computer?

izznogooood
May 20th, 2016, 06:59 PM
So, he had Win8.1 and suddenly he had Win10. Now half of his everyday programs are broken.

He swears he never said yes to the upgrade. Can this just happen? If it did why arent people suing! :D.

QDR06VV9
May 20th, 2016, 07:06 PM
He's not alone I have done for my friends and clients 25 reinstalls of windows 7 just this week alone.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3043526/microsoft-windows/microsoft-upgraded-users-to-windows-10-without-their-ok.html
And let's not let this thread get out of hand be mindful of the posting rules please
Here is a better described blog http://betanews.com/2016/03/13/microsoft-installing-windows-10-without-consent/

QIII
May 20th, 2016, 07:09 PM
The upgrade is opt-out, so one must take an affirmative action to avoid the upgrade.

You can't sue, since Microsoft did exactly as the Vogons did when they destroyed Earth to build the hyperspace bypass: they stated this was going to be done and then made it public by putting it on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of Leopard".

lisati
May 20th, 2016, 07:41 PM
I got fed up with the prompts to upgrade on my Win 7 machine, which wouldn't go away even though the <insert-nasty-word> bundled with regular updates was repeatedly removed. I can't remember exactly which one I used, but there are tools around which nuke the persistent prompts.

QDR06VV9
May 20th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I have been referring people to this http://www.infoworld.com/article/3000299/microsoft-windows/a-better-blocker-is-available-to-shield-you-from-coerced-get-windows-10-updates.html
I do not know how well it works myself though because I am Windows Free here.

yetimon_64
May 20th, 2016, 08:16 PM
...but there are tools around which nuke the persistent prompts.

I used one of those, made various start up and registry changes and the Win 10 update reminders returned after a couple of monthly updates, fully restored :(. So a couple of weeks ago I backed up my linux partitions and the EFI partition (to protect some HP hardware utilities) and shredded the complete drive. Now rebuilt with a couple of partitions for installs and a few spares for other distros.

I have a clone of the original win 8.1 installation packed away in case it is needed but the constant prompts to upgrade along with the sneaking back in of the software doing the prompts got too much for me to put up with, I had absolutely no intention of upgrading to Win 10 and would have liked to keep the win 8.1 partition a bit longer.

You can't sue, since Microsoft did exactly as the Vogons did when they destroyed Earth to build the hyperspace bypass: they stated this was going to be done and then made it public by putting it on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of Leopard". :lol:

My new much nicer drive layout (attached) ...

QDR06VV9
May 20th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I used one of those, made various start up and registry changes and the Win 10 update reminders returned after a couple of monthly updates, fully restored :(. So a couple of weeks ago I backed up my linux partitions and the EFI partition (to protect some HP hardware utilities) and shredded the complete drive. Now rebuilt with a couple of partitions for installs and a few spares for other distros.

I have a clone of the original win 8.1 installation packed away in case it is needed but the constant prompts to upgrade along with the sneaking back in of the software doing the prompts got too much for me to put up with, I had absolutely no intention of upgrading to Win 10 and would have liked to keep the win 8.1 partition a bit longer.

:lol:

I do not think you have enough partitions yeti :lol:

poorguy
May 20th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Roll it back to what you had and install this and learn to use it to monitor for Windows 10 updates.

GWX Control Panel

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

(http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/)

yetimon_64
May 21st, 2016, 04:23 AM
I do not think you have enough partitions yeti :lol:

2 installs (4 partitions) used, 3 installs spare (6 partitions) is plenty ... :biggrin:. And that doesn't include the 1.5 TB storage partition. Glad to be rid of Windows to free up all that space, :D, Over 900 GiB for one partition being locked up by an OS was pretty obscene to this dual (Linux) booter.

user1397
May 21st, 2016, 04:27 AM
Nice!

Question, having that many distros installed, how do you deal with the bootloader? Do you just let every new distro install grub and configure it through that distro?

yetimon_64
May 21st, 2016, 04:41 AM
Nice!

Question, having that many distros installed, how do you deal with the bootloader? Do you just let every new distro install grub and configure it through that distro?
This is getting a bit off the original topic, I don't want to hijack the OPs thread with dual boot "madness" :). PM me if you are interested in a full reply. Cheers, yeti.

vasa1
May 21st, 2016, 05:06 AM
This is getting a bit off the original topic, I don't want to hijack the OPs thread with dual boot "madness" :). PM me if you are interested in a full reply. Cheers, yeti.

Or better still, start a new thread in Installation and Upgrades (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333). I'm sure it would be most welcome :)

izznogooood
May 21st, 2016, 03:47 PM
First off, this is what happens in a "cafe". You start with one subject and it transcends into another ;). So i dont mind that at all!

Well, i tried to make things work in Win10. I have a Virtualbox with the same software running just fine. But: That was a clean install. (with some fiddling)
I turns out he used his workmail to set up an MS account (Which you should NEVER do!), it so happens that his work uses office365. This really screwed up his mail system among other account issues.

I ALWAYS skip this step and make a local user only.

So the end of it was a full revert.

On the other subject I have a SHDD with Ubuntu(800GB) and Win10(200GB), then a 2TB media/ln -s download/backupdrive (2x2TB Raid 1).
My work brings me fortune when it comes to HDD's.

izznogooood
May 21st, 2016, 03:53 PM
Nice!

I also want to know ;).

yetimon_64
May 22nd, 2016, 01:38 AM
I also want to know ;).

Be careful the "madness" is contagious ... :), short version: I let the new install take over fully then boot back into the original install from the new bootloader screen and with the "sudo grub-install" command give control back to the original install.

In other words I let only the original install get automatically updated in the grub bootloader. By using os-prober and update-grub to generate the boot entries for the other systems I manually copy their entries to the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom in the original install and turn off /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober then run update-grub again to clean out the os-prober entries. The "sudo chmod (+x OR -x)" command is used to turn on/off the os-prober functionality for setting up the bootloader screen.

I should note I use bash aliases extensively to save having to remember all the commands, simple terms I remember aliased to more complex commands eg.

For turning os-prober on or off the entries from the file ~/.bash_aliases are:

alias osp.on='sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober'
alias osp.off='sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober'

The aliases for editing the 40_custom file and grub-update are easy to remember "ed.40cus" and"ug" (sounds like something a caveman would say :))

alias ed.40cus='sudo nano /etc/grub.d/40_custom'
alias ug='sudo update-grub'

So to turn on the os-prober in terminal all I type is "osp.on", to turn off "osp.off", to update grub "ug" then enter my password and so on. Bash aliases make for real quick resetting of the bootloader screen, along with many other such tasks done manually.

Cheers, yeti. (Note to the mods, Sorry for the side track, the OP did ask :wink: ... O:))

ventrical
May 22nd, 2016, 02:29 AM
Can this just happen? If it did why arent people suing! :D.

There is a cost, a price if you will, to sue Microsoft. It will cost you more in sweat, tears and money to litigate. Perhaps the most you will ever get in a class action settlement is an apology and an offer to replace your Windows 7. One thing is for certain .. you will never be compensated for the hours it took you to investigate and litigate this action. It is always a win-win situation for Microsoft because , again , as usual , you are working non-paid hours to do research for Microsoft's auto-distribution blunders. So , say it took up 18 hours to investigate, 12 hours to attempt a resolution 20 hours of research to litigate (as base) ..thats 50X11.10 minimum wage = $550.00 of litigation down time. That's not counting the cost of Advil for the migraines :) .. so it costs less in pain just to pay for another key! :) Then again .. you can always install Ubuntu :)

Regards..

izznogooood
May 22nd, 2016, 12:50 PM
There is a cost, a price if you will, to sue Microsoft. It will cost you more in sweat, tears and money to litigate. Perhaps the most you will ever get in a class action settlement is an apology and an offer to replace your Windows 7. One thing is for certain .. you will never be compensated for the hours it took you to investigate and litigate this action. It is always a win-win situation for Microsoft because , again , as usual , you are working non-paid hours to do research for Microsoft's auto-distribution blunders. So , say it took up 18 hours to investigate, 12 hours to attempt a resolution 20 hours of research to litigate (as base) ..thats 50X11.10 minimum wage = $550.00 of litigation down time. That's not counting the cost of Advil for the migraines :) .. so it costs less in pain just to pay for another key! :) Then again .. you can always install Ubuntu :)

Regards..

I think like this for a living so i completely agree. Besides suing in Europe is not as well rooted in our society yet ;).
I'm just a bit blown away by their arrogance .
But still! This really tipped the scale for me...

CantankRus
May 22nd, 2016, 03:38 PM
So, he had Win8.1 and suddenly he had Win10. Now half of his everyday programs are broken.

He swears he never said yes to the upgrade. Can this just happen? If it did why arent people suing! :D.

This is just par for the course with Microsoft.
Revenue and future revenue always overrules the wants of the individual user.
Wait 'til the updates turn your computer into an advertising billboard... :P

mastablasta
May 22nd, 2016, 04:48 PM
Wait 'til the updates turn your computer into an advertising billboard... :P

the question is how far will businesses tolerate this. in fact thought eh MS ofice is good in my opinion, i am still a bit puzzled by win10 moves at the company i worked in as clearly the PC is leaking various infos to MS. with all "security" they have in place, rules and such what would happen when someone cathes vairous information and sells it to competitors. i mean why allow this at all!? i am talking about the tile interface porgrams that are there running, providing various info user never really asked about like stock info and such.

one this kind of thing is cracked or one of the app get's broken in it could be the downfall of the OS. i mean by defualt andorid is not elaking so much i believe iunless you install various app or activate them. but Win10... i mean it's gettign a bit crazy.