PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 16.04 No window for Unity Launcher Folders

Dave_Ballard
May 20th, 2016, 01:49 AM
I am a brand new Ubuntu user. I installed the 16.04 distribution and wanted to modify the launcher to contain folders. A bit of Google searching pointed me to the Unity Launcher Folders package. I installed it, but when launching it the icon appeared in the launcher without the pop up window needed to use it. I even installed Gdebi and reinstalled the deb package with that. Still no window. I tried several Google searches looking for the problem. I did not find anything useful from the searches.

I then tried installing the drawers package but that had the same problem (No window for use).

The following is from my syslog file. I do not know if this is related to the problem or not but thought I should include it.

My thanks to anyone who can help.

May 19 13:29:11 W2VK systemd[1]: Started Hostname Service.
May 19 13:29:12 W2VK gnome-session[1289]: Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: Failed to execute child process "net" (No such file or directory)
May 19 13:29:13 W2VK org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[1173]: ** (process:2333): WARNING **: Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend
May 19 13:29:13 W2VK org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[1173]: ** (process:2328): WARNING **: Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend
May 19 13:29:16 W2VK org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[1173]: ** (process:2333): WARNING **: Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend
May 19 13:29:33 W2VK org.gnome.zeitgeist.SimpleIndexer[1173]: ** (zeitgeist-fts:1701): WARNING **: Unable to get info on application://nautilus-autostart.desktop

CantankRus
May 20th, 2016, 02:49 AM
unity-launcher-folders works here on 16.04.
I downloaded the latest deb file from HERE (https://launchpad.net/~asukhovatkin/+archive/ubuntu/unity-launcher-folders/+files/unity-launcher-folders_14.09.5_all.deb) <-----This is a direct download link to deb file from authors ppa.
Are you using it correctly ...youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlvl0OaMtH0)

Try opening from a terminal...

unity-launcher-folders
I get some gtk errors but configuration window still opens.

Dave_Ballard
May 21st, 2016, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the response.

Re the video: Yes, I saw the video before I installed the package. It didn't help since I don't get the app window to use.

Re starting from the terminal: Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of trying that. Here is the result.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/unity-launcher-folders", line 46, in <module>
import unity_launcher_folders
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
from gi.repository import Gtk, Gdk, GdkPixbuf, Pango, Gio
ImportError: No module named gi.repository

Based on this result, I am guessing that I need to install a package. You may have gotten the missing module as a dependency when you installed other packages after your 16.04 install which is why it works for you. I may try installing the python-gobject package since google lists that as a cure for a missing gi module (Not gi.repository module).

I tried installing from the developer's PPA, but that install still didn't fix the problem. I will use Gdebi to reinstall the developer's package to see if that will resolve any missing dependencies.

CantankRus
May 21st, 2016, 02:04 AM
I have python-gobject which is a dependency of various applications I have installed (glipper kupfer pluma pulseaudio-dlna python-appindicator screenkey y-ppa-manager).
I also have python-gobject-2 installed.
Both installed from official repos.

glen@Xenial:~$ apt-cache policy python-gobject
python-gobject:
Installed: 3.20.0-0ubuntu1
Candidate: 3.20.0-0ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 3.20.0-0ubuntu1 500
500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu xenial/universe i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
glen@Xenial:~$ apt-cache policy python-gobject-2
python-gobject-2:
Installed: 2.28.6-12ubuntu1
Candidate: 2.28.6-12ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 2.28.6-12ubuntu1 500
500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

CantankRus
May 21st, 2016, 07:26 AM
Did some testing from a live Xenial cd and this is how I got it to run.
Installed unity-launcher-folders.
Then...

sudo apt install python-gobject python-pil

Edited /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/generateIcon.py ....

gksudo gedit /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/generateIcon.py

Change line #17..

import Image

to

from PIL import Image

Dave_Ballard
May 22nd, 2016, 08:49 PM
Thanks CantankRus. I haven't checked the thread for a day or two but when I did, I found your last post. I had installed python.gobject and received the error about the PIL Image module missing. I followed the commands in your post and now have a Tools folder and an Office folder in my launcher. :D:D

To summarize, Xenial Xerus has releases of Python packages but not the basic ones. Installing them solved the problem. (Drawers now works as well). I noticed that I now get the warning that the version to be used is not specified, but I think that is just a warning.

Thanks again. I am marking the thread as solved.

ajmalj
October 16th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Did some testing from a live Xenial cd and this is how I got it to run.
Installed unity-launcher-folders.
Then...

sudo apt install python-gobject python-pil

Edited /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/generateIcon.py ....

gksudo gedit /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/generateIcon.py

Change line #17..

import Image

to

from PIL import Image

Thanks it worked!:D

mazoerkam
March 6th, 2017, 08:56 PM
thaks for me also

saiunuk
April 7th, 2017, 01:14 PM
A simple question: How many Drawers you can have? Is there any limit?

For example, I made 4 drawers, and when I'm trying to add one more, it doesn't appear in the launcher :(

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3736/33850821556_4c742e66b5_b.jpg

ps. Great piece of software, and I think it should be included in Ubuntu distro by default.