PDA

View Full Version : ffmpeg bash script: wav extraction from videos

jonesints
May 15th, 2016, 03:35 PM
After hunting for hours through forums, I'm stuck from just achieving basics with ffmpeg with my limited bash knowledge.

What I'm trying to achieve:

6TB of video files of different codecs on my headless server (of mainly wrappers .mov & mp4) in several directories. I would like to extract the audio from them as .wav, and save the audio in a separate location KEEPING the folder structures in this new location. (I don't mind if re-encoding audio but if just extracting the right audio codec is faster, and less processing, then better!)

#!/bin/bash
for filename in *.mp4;
do
stub="${filename%.*}"
/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -i "${stub}.mp4" -vn -acodec copy "Someotherpath/FolderStructureRecreated/${stub}.wav"

sleep 0.1

done

Would I need to use "find" instead, if names are more complex with characters/spaces?

steeldriver
May 15th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Using `find` isn't really about filename complexity - it's about file location. It will search through directories recursively, whereas the shell glob *.mp4 will only find files in the current directory.

FakeOutdoorsman
May 16th, 2016, 10:22 PM
MP4 does not support PCM audio. You're attempting to stream copy (http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Stream-copy) the existing audio from the MP4 input into WAV which will result in an invalid file. You should re-encode instead.