PDA

View Full Version : Re: Old browsers - how to update them?

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 13th, 2016, 07:54 PM
I am ever so new to Ubuntu that I didn't dare look to see if that was already answered, in case it was too full of hard-to-understand guidelines, so I appreciate your time and effort in trying to help me!
I have several problems with my Linux Ubuntu which I had installed by someone several years ago, whom I cannot now ask advice to.

First of all, my 2 browsers, Google Chrome and Firefox both are outdated, crash at random places and won't let me view videos (why? Since it worked before, why should it stop working?) .

Secondly, I have a flaw with the whole Ubuntu system, which after a few seconds of starting up, says "problem system detected" . And there is a "no entry" symbol on the middle top of the screen with the other computery icons. When I click on that, it gives me a write-up which I don't understand.
Now, I have heard by searching online that I needed to re-instal Ubuntu so I bought a CD from someone on Ebay who was very reluctant to give me any help after receiving the cd, as to how to install it; I understood I could either use the program to "look into" my computer (as some of my folders won't open, they are blocked by that problem) or re-install it entirely, which I am definitely NOT confident in doing. I am not confident in anything really, regarding computer things - as I am not used to Linux and have had no tuition on how to use it and none of my friends use it so I can't ask anyone.

I have lived with the "Problem SYstem detected" difficulty for years. I just can't access my files, that is all. But the old browsers which won't let me watch videos, is another matter!
Now, I did download earlier 2 new Firefox updates (or the whole program, I don't know) but nothing happened. I tried to open those folders, found a title that said "Run Firefox" in one of them (not the other download, oddly, though I thought I downloaded 2 of the same) and clicked on it, and nothing happened except seeing a list of what looks like alien language.

I feel totally frustratingly useless at understanding what to do, or attempting to do it. Could someone help me just enough to at least get one of those browsers properly working please?
If not, well, not to worry. I will live with it till the computer stops working..But I did like Linux. Well, except I can't use most of it, but what little bit I could use was rather nice.

Thanks in advance for your patience and sorry if this irritates some of you as you must get a lot of that, people who don't know what they are doing, asking "stupid" questions...
Alexandra

I have just got an automated email from Ubuntu saying staff can't reply in personal messages, does this mean that this thread cannot be answered to? I really don't understand much.
ALso, I tried to do some updating of this Ubuntu (which I haven't done in years, since the problem happened) and it won't let me. It says internal errors are not allowing the package to be found. So this software looks rather stuck to me. I might try to restart and click on the install updates again.

Bucky Ball
May 13th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu and the forums. :)

First and only question to this point: Which release of Ubuntu are you using? I don't see that mentioned, or is it my aging eyes?

(PS: Regarding the PMs: No, anyone can reply to this. In fact, we highly discourage PM support here as it defeats the purpose of this forum which is to share information and knowledge with the community, not in corridors. :) Please set this so staff at least can PM you though. Thanks.)

Bucky Ball
May 13th, 2016, 08:26 PM
ALso, I tried to do some updating of this Ubuntu (which I haven't done in years, since the problem happened) and it won't let me. It says internal errors are not allowing the package to be found.

Sounds to me like you have an unsupported release. Current supported releases are 12.04 LTS, 14.04 LTS, 15.10, 16.04 LTS. If you haven't got one of these, you'll need to upgrade or do a clean install.

You can open a terminal and run this:

lsb_release -a

Post back the result, please.

SuperFreak
May 13th, 2016, 08:45 PM
The latest version of Ubuntu is available here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop. It is available by donation or free there is no need to purchase a copy from EBay. Instructions on how to install are here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop

EDIT: I notice Ebay is selling outdated versions of Ubuntu (8.04,13.10....) so Buyer Beware

buzzingrobot
May 13th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Well, I also guess you've got an old and unsupported version Ubuntu on there, but until we know for sure:

-- Browsers, like other software in Ubuntu, are installed when you do normal periodic updates. One of the things that happen when support for an Ubuntu releases ends is that the servers that host the software packages for that release are taken offline. That's where the updates would be, otherwise.

-- The Adobe Flash browser plugin is very often used for video in browsers. It's also a very problematic piece of software, on Windows and Linux. Monthly security updates, and frequent critical fixes, are common. I think there's a good chance that the Flash plugin in your old browser is to just too out of date to work with today's sites.

It's important to know the version of Ubuntu you've got there, first, though.

Also, one thing you might do: When you create a DVD or USB stick that contains the Ubuntu you want to install, when you boot it up you will be able to choose to run it in "Live Mode". This runs the entire operating system in memory and does not touch the hard drive. It's a useful way of taking at look at Ubuntu, and seeing if the hardware is working correctly. (If your installation is really old, Ubuntu may look much different to you today, too.)

Bucky Ball
May 14th, 2016, 06:06 AM
And if you computer is really old, the latest Ubuntu might not run at all.

Would be helpful if you could give the Ubuntu release you are using and any specs of the machine you have, i.e. amount of RAM and CPU. A make and model is fine if that's all you know how to get for the moment.

mastablasta
May 14th, 2016, 06:28 PM
commands can be copied and pasted into terminal (right click & copy). the output from terminal can then get copied & pasted here (preferably using the code tags - it's the # icon in "go advanced" answer mode).

here are the "invokations" that will reveal your PC state, list hardware specs etc.: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475

perhaps there is a linux group near your area. they will very likely help you with instalation. otherwise if oyu can move your data (pcis, docs, videos and such) to some external drive then install is very easy. mostly consist of clicking next button and selecting user name and password. they key woul dbe to choose the right desktop version if computer is older. if it is relatively new, then even that is not an issue.

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 14th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Hello all,
Thank you so much for your responses - I didn't realise anyone had replied (I possibly haven't clicked the "send me an email when someone replies" which usually is on forums but I didn't see on here... so I came to look hoping there might be one , but there were several! Lovely!)

I suppose, to find the version of Ubuntu I am using, that I have to restart my computer, take a quick note of what it says on the black page before coming to the normal desktop page, and write it down! I don't know otherwise how to find it with the computer on.

So I shall do that. I will have to re-read all of your comments so to take them in, I would really still quite like to save some of my documents I can't access on here any more.
I wonder if there is a Linux help group in Herefordshire, which sounds rather a nice idea. It is so nice to learn with another human.
And I don't even know what I bought from Ebay as far as a new version of Ubuntu is concerned... I will take the advice and look for the latest version one of you have posted, and work out how to save it on something external to this computer (all those challenges... will I find a memory stick?!! Where are they again...)

Must restart now. Thanks again!

On the start page, was written
Ubuntu with Linux, 3.2.0.40 Generic

Is that what you wanted to know? Is that any help ...!!

I will have a look at it all tomorrow, with a clear mind. Thanks.

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 15th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Ps, the computer I use is a Sony laptop, called some name I can't read on the top because they are being ever so clever with their lettering ! Owio or VIAO something like that? It had wINDOWS 7 on it. I bought it in 2013 - or some time around then, so it isn't extremely old.
The "product name" from the back of the laptop is Vpcyb3v1e.

Ah, if only I could work computers out instead of knowing sewing or chocolate making!! ah la la.

To Bucky Ball: Do you have a link for this LSB RELEASE? I put that in Google but it had several websites and I don't know what I can trust.

To Mastablasta:
"commands can be copied and pasted into terminal (right click & copy). the output from terminal can then get copied & pasted here (preferably using the code tags - it's the # icon in "go advanced" answer mode).

here are the "invokations" that will reveal your PC state, list hardware specs etc.: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475"

I don't understand what you mean? What are commands for? What are they? What's a "terminal" is that an outside storage?

I had a look at the link, you are asking me to find out what the specification of my machines are, I think. Now, I don't know how to access the "Applications" part of this software. I went onto the top left symbol called "dash home", and on the Home, all I find is "recent Apps, Recent Files and recent Downloads".
(as I said before, I really don't know how to use Ubuntu, and I have been using the surface of it for 3 years)
On my left, I only have the "home folder" which doesn't open, when I click on it, it is when it crashes. So I don't know if the Applications would be in that folder.
I tried to search on the Dash Home for
lspci | grep ATI
and the other one to find what video card there is, and it finds no result, I am obviously not searching it in the right place.

I can't seem to get an answer on Google as to where I find the Application page.

The Cog
May 15th, 2016, 11:05 AM
To Bucky Ball: Do you have a link for this LSB RELEASE? I put that in Google but it had several websites and I don't know what I can trust.
Despite the fact that you have asked the nobody except Bucky Ball should answer that question, I will answer it anyway:

The command lsb_release -a is built into the system. But it is a command that you type into a command-line console. You need to open a terminal window somehow. If you have anything like a start button (bottom-left most likely) then click that and look for Terminal or Console. Here is a screenshot showing what I mean, although your colours will be different.

If you can't find a terminal in the GUI then press Ctrl-Alt-F1 which should jump to a white-on-black text window. You can log in with your username and password and then enter the command there. Use Alt-F7 to return to the graphical interface.

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 15th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Hello The Cog, thanks for your answer. I will try anything, as long as I can get into it.
I found the Start up menu, but there is no Terminal nor Console in the menu in it, and if I search for it it finds no result. My start up menu shows:
SYstem Settings
Displays
Start-up Applications
Software Updater
Printers
Lock Screen
Log out
Suspend
Shut down

I looked in System settings, and no terminal nor console there neither.

Now, I tried the Alt Cntl and F1 - horror.
It went to a black page, and asked me for a username and password, which I don't have. Out of panic, I clicked on the restart button and shut the computer down...This is not an option as I have no way to find out what the password on this is, nor the username.

"start-up application": I would think there would be a list of applications there, but que nini. All it opens is an empty window with "add your own" option. What is the point of that I wonder. Arrrhhhhhh

howefield
May 15th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Now, I tried the Alt Cntl and F1 - horror. .

To get a terminal, try Ctrl + Alt + t instead of the above.

mastablasta
May 15th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I don't understand what you mean? What are commands for? What are they? What's a "terminal" is that an outside storage?

1. in dash search "terminal".
2. maybe shortcut "ctrl+alt+t" will work as well to open the command line interface.

we need to know the version you have in order to be able to help you. at the moment i think it is 12.04 LTS where updates should work.

once in terminal other commands from my link will provide data on your hardware, so we can advise which version to use.

another option - turn the laptop arround. on the bottom there should be a model number and such on some sticker. post it here.

in any case you will need terminal to troubleshoot the issues, as any errors would be reported there. you can then copy and paste those here and we can tell you how to resolve the errors.

+ once you are in system and in terminal it seems we will have to reset your user password to a new one. more on that later.

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 15th, 2016, 04:55 PM
When I type Alt Control and T, all I get is a small window that says
claude@claude-plumbing; and , a Wave sign , and a strange S that looks vaguely like Dollar sign

Isnt' the version of Ubuntu I am using the 3.2.0.40 Generic with linux?
And the product name of this laptop is Vpcyb3v1e.

On another sticker under the laptop, are the following
Sony corporation 256-238-01
Product key BVWHF-JMCXD-BY66T-BYGFJMK9FR
Underneath are more numbers
X16-96072
and 00196-184947-348

On AltControl T, if I type lsb_release -a
it says "command not found

Geoffrey_Arndt
May 15th, 2016, 09:08 PM
If you press ctrl + alt + T (Ctrl, then alt, then T - - holding down each key until you tap the T key). Don't type the pluses.

The command will work if typed in correctly. Simple as that.

Then just do a SHIFT + Ctrl + C to copy your selected text (must highlight/select it first) (or just write down the results and retype it in your response.)

Note, your level of knowledge of the basics is extremely low - - maybe your best bet is to find someone at your location (like a college computer major - student) or a local linux computer club. If that can't be done, there are complete computer systems (laptops or desktops) that can be purchased via the internet, with Ubuntu already preloaded to the latest version.

mastablasta
May 15th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Isnt' the version of Ubuntu I am using the 3.2.0.40 Generic with linux?
And the product name of this laptop is Vpcyb3v1e.

the 3.2.0.40 is the kernel version (core of the operating system) that was used in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (LTS=Long Term Support)

These are the specs for your computer:
https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/VPCYB3V1E/list

Sony Vaio VPCYB3V1E

AMD E-450 processor -- means 14.04 would likely work best at the moment. no more AMD drivers available in latest LTS version (16.04), though the opensource ones are descent for the chip.

When I type Alt Control and T, all I get is a small window that says
claude@claude-plumbing; and , a Wave sign , and a strange S that looks vaguely like Dollar sign

that's the terminal. you can enlarge the window.

claude is your user name, claude-plumbing is the name someone gave to your computer. you need to know your password in order to do administration (perform updates and troubleshoot).

lsb_release -a definitelly works
if not you can try

uname -a
which doesn't give so many information.

in any case you need the password in order to perform an update. procedure to reset that is not that trivial: http://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/how-do-i-reset-a-lost-administrative-password

(http://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/how-do-i-reset-a-lost-administrative-password)so the easiest way might be to backup your files (to external drive) and install either 14.04 or the latest version - 16.04. If you want some additional speed, then install Xubuntu instead (it has a different desktop so check their screenshots). the instalation procedure is simple if you choose to overwrite all the data on computer. selecting default values is good enough for home user install.you will be asked to name the user and to choose a password. that is mostly it.

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 16th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Geoffrey, yes, my knowledge is basically non existant. I did already do the alt contrl and t and it was what it came up with, what I typed in another message. Claude@claude-plumbing and the symbols. That worked fine, but didn't bring anything useful.

BLasta: I might have to retreive and change the password indeed,that would be a good start.
I tried typing the uname-a in the terminal thing, and nothing happens, same with the lsb release whatever else.

BUt at least I understand now what the technicities are (oir where to find them at least) and i have contacted a local group, see if they reply. If I was them, I would avoid to. But it's not for me to judge...

If it fails, I might have to go back to the dreaded corporation as far as the operating system is concerned...

mastablasta
May 16th, 2016, 09:42 AM
BLasta: I might have to retreive and change the password indeed,that would be a good start.
I tried typing the uname-a in the terminal thing, and nothing happens, same with the lsb release whatever else.

this tell me that something is either terribly wrong with the install or it was customised in some strange way.

BUt at least I understand now what the technicities are (oir where to find them at least) and i have contacted a local group, see if they reply. If I was them, I would avoid to. But it's not for me to judge...

backup of personal data and full reinstall might be easiest option. install is a lot simpler (and faster) than Windows. i hope you can find someone nearby that can help you with it.

otherwise Windows is not that bad they just spy a lot lately and try to contorl what you can and can't do on your PC. but my overall experience (win latest Windows) - it's a descent OS. many good features, many thing they stole from Linux. they even now added ability to do some Linux commands into their command line console/terminal

mörgæs
May 16th, 2016, 09:46 AM
On the start page, was written
Ubuntu with Linux, 3.2.0.40 Generic

It indicates a 12.04 install which has never been updated, a very bad sign.

I suggest a fresh install of a light 16.04, that is for example L/Xubuntu. There are no indications of hardware problems and hence no need to buy a Windows computer.

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 16th, 2016, 06:38 PM
I am slowly (slowly) starting to understand, thanks, both.
I will attempt to save my data - if it will let me and doesn't freeze the folders as it usually does - (it might work now it had a holiday, it might have forgotten it was supposed to be sulking) and then look for the latest install.
Which was recommended.

I don't think I properly understand the need to do the updates, hence why I never did them, and they might not have been switched on to do themselves automatically. But if it is trouble not to do so, and it won't be like with Microsoft and you do an update therefore your computer stops working or does strange things, well, I will make sure it gets its updates in the future. Maybe it's like watering plants, it's got to be done or it dies.

I would rather learn this than go back to a microsoft operator. It's silly to say, but I don't entirely trust them... and it is such a relief to be able to go on the internet with Linux, and know that mostly, the computer won't bring back any parasites or people hacking into it to search for bank details (of what I have understood... this is mostly why I wanted Linux, and no need for a sentinel ... what a lovely way to be.) Free!!!!
(am I being too romantic with the idea of Linux...)

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 16th, 2016, 06:39 PM
And it is made by people who are very kind with their help!!

mastablasta
May 16th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I don't think I properly understand the need to do the updates, hence why I never did them, and they might not have been switched on to do themselves automatically. But if it is trouble not to do so, and it won't be like with Microsoft and you do an update therefore your computer stops working or does strange things, well, I will make sure it gets its updates in the future. Maybe it's like watering plants, it's got to be done or it dies.

by default you are only prompted for update (i.e. that updates exist). there are many types of updates and you can contorl which ones you want. for example only security updates. Linux Mint goes as far as to number them (something like critical, important, less important, not necessary...). you can finish your work do the updates and then if necessary reboot or continue work and reboot later.

you can set up unattended updates : https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/automatic-updates.html but on laptop this is not really necessary. desktop or server that is on all the time will do this during the night (check for updates and update them).

for you it would be enough to follow the updates prompt when you receive it and do the updates. once a week will be fine i believe. if you can do it more often, then do it. they include security patches, bug fixes, some smaller program upgrades (on LTS).

if you have an LTS edition (which i recomend) then every 2 years or so you are prompted to upgrade to the next LTS. you can do that when your time permits or turn off this notificaiton and continue with the version you have. but eventually an upgrade should be done. LTS is supported (with patches and bugfixes) for 5 years, so before this time runs out you are supposed to upgrade to the next version.

mörgæs
May 17th, 2016, 09:08 AM
...to be able to go on the internet with Linux, and know that mostly, the computer won't bring back any parasites or people hacking into it to search for bank details (of what I have understood... this is mostly why I wanted Linux, and no need for a sentinel ... what a lovely way to be.) Free!!!!

Yes, a GNU/Linux operative system is one of the safest platforms to use IF all updates have been applied. I recommend setting the process to 'automatic' and to check every day, as mentioned above. Mostly it can be done without a reboot.

Update in this context means bug fixes to present software, it's not about 'someone' deciding to add a lot of unwanted stuff to your system.

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 23rd, 2016, 02:47 PM
Masta, do you recommend LTS editions of Ubuntu , if I understand, because they are "supported" for 5 years hence i can do updates for 5 years because the team or person writing this software keeps fixing it?

I still don't quite understand if my laptop could or not, handle a .16 version or is my processor not powerful enough and i should go for a .14.

I am going to meet the group in a couple of days... thank you so very much for your help and everyone else's on this forum, it's been great and I understand just that little bit more now! It's now a mix between Chinese and English...

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 23rd, 2016, 02:49 PM
i will see when the install is done if I can set up the updates to automatic, Morgae.
Since you say it isn't like Microsoft and it will carry on working, great.

Alexandra_Pechabad
May 23rd, 2016, 02:52 PM
PS: I DID manage to save my files in the end...it was very very slow but it did it!

mörgæs
May 23rd, 2016, 04:38 PM
Good, since the files are saved you now have the foundation for doing a clean install of your preferred Buntu.