PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever dread going to work?

kulaywolf
May 13th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Do you ever dread going to work? I have a job but some days I just rather do nothing rather than clock in. Once I clocked in I am okay it is just the getting up and getting to work.

RichardET
May 13th, 2016, 03:54 PM
No, but I don't like Nj traffic, and the reckless driving, especially after dark.

Habitual
May 13th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I work from home, so no, I don't dread going to work.

QIII
May 13th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Go to work to goof off on computers all day, get paid twice a month.

What's to dread?

O)9(yo&#
May 13th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Being retired two years, I can tell you that you will look back one day on your working years as the best time of your life. Enjoy it. Embrace it. It won't last forever.

mastablasta
May 16th, 2016, 11:54 AM
i read an interesting article about these regular "8h jobs" an dhow they are basically slavery in disguise. the routie is there to subdue the individual. lunch time, regular hours etc etc.

and really to me sometimes it is strange. i mean i have nothing to do and i have to be here. ok sur ei can ask and go home early but then i don't get payed for that time. but if i am at work even not doign anything on certian days i get payed.

otherwise the article compared contract workers (who have the *f.... y...* money) and normal workers.

the job i do is so easy that it's boring. which is why i don't really like going. but i need the money to pay the debt (a classic - it's how they enslave you).

O)9(yo&#
May 16th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Working an 8 hour day, 40 hour week is hardly slavery. You can quit any time and get another job (although it's best to get the new job first). The actual slaves in America 150 or so years ago would have been executed had they "quit" their "jobs." A rather big difference. The problem is with your thinking, not your job.

bapoumba
May 16th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Hmm, let's not get side-tracked please, thanks.

pfeiffep
May 16th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Since I retired 5 years ago I have missed some of the camaraderie of my fellow workers. I never enjoyed going to work and work but worked from home as frequently as possible.

O)9(yo&#
May 16th, 2016, 11:59 PM
I agree that being bored at work is terrible. The time goes much faster if you're busy. We all have to put up with less than ideal jobs at times. But there are always new opportunities if we look for them.

mastablasta
May 17th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Working an 8 hour day, 40 hour week is hardly slavery. You can quit any time and get another job (although it's best to get the new job first). The actual slaves in America 150 or so years ago would have been executed had they "quit" their "jobs." A rather big difference. The problem is with your thinking, not your job.

"modern slavery" then :)

we have about 1500 jobs (total available in the coutnry) and at the moment 115.000 unemployed people. for my profile there is about 120 jobs avaiable in the whole country and close to 10.000 people that would like to have it. we are not known for mobility and jobs market is not flexible. if i sell my appartment i would loose 15.000 EUR investment at least (price dropped a lot after i bought it) . and that is if i could sell it because there is only a few buying it.

still i believe the article eventually came to similar conclusion than you - people should change the way they think. i have to find it. it is a really interesting article.

for example my option would be to go to another country. i would have to go quite far probably. i am not that young anymore, kids arround... not sure if it is an option. option 2 is to go solo. but i am still trying to find something (1) i could do, (2) sell (live from it) and that would at the same time (3) make me happy instead.
1 & 3 - there are plenty, but 2 not so much.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 17th, 2016, 12:13 PM
getting out of bed when the alarm clock goes off

grahammechanical
May 17th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I used to work for a major UK high street retailer in one of their stores. Some years ago someone had this "brilliant" idea for having a happy work force. We had to work our way through a very long questionnaire that was designed to identify which work assignments we could be given that would make each of us happy at work.

It was all nonsense, of course. A waste of company money. The jobs that nobody wanted to do still had to be done. And the jobs that everyone liked doing were over subscribed. And it ignored that fact that no one goes to work to be happy. We do it for the money.

Regards.

O)9(yo&#
May 17th, 2016, 06:31 PM
"modern slavery" then :)

we have about 1500 jobs (total available in the coutnry) and at the moment 115.000 unemployed people. for my profile there is about 120 jobs avaiable in the whole country and close to 10.000 people that would like to have it. we are not known for mobility and jobs market is not flexible. if i sell my appartment i would loose 15.000 EUR investment at least (price dropped a lot after i bought it) . and that is if i could sell it because there is only a few buying it.

still i believe the article eventually came to similar conclusion than you - people should change the way they think. i have to find it. it is a really interesting article.

for example my option would be to go to another country. i would have to go quite far probably. i am not that young anymore, kids arround... not sure if it is an option. option 2 is to go solo. but i am still trying to find something (1) i could do, (2) sell (live from it) and that would at the same time (3) make me happy instead.
1 & 3 - there are plenty, but 2 not so much.
I can understand your dilemma better now. I think what I objected to is the use of the word "slavery." I am white, and it bothers me. If I were Black, my response would have been a good deal more intense. We must never minimize the horror that was slavery. And don't forget, it was English ships which brought them to America. It's like comparing being stopped for a traffic violation to the SS under Hitler. But I get your situation. I solved my problem by moving, but I live in a huge country, and there were plenty of places to go to find opportunity. But if I found that I needed to move to another country, that would be much, much harder. I hope you find a solution!

coldraven
May 17th, 2016, 07:17 PM
I had a theory that if you spent more than 45 minutes commuting to work then you should quit that job. I used to live in London and the traffic jam started outside of my house, it took 45 minutes to go three miles and start my working day.
I moved to a remote island and used to sing "I'm commuting!" as I drove around the bay. In the bay were seals and various interesting birds. As I drove I listened to the traffic reports for the London area, it was all bad :(

bapoumba
May 17th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Once again, and for the last time, please no side tracks, thanks.

O)9(yo&#
May 17th, 2016, 10:22 PM
I had a theory that if you spent more than 45 minutes commuting to work then you should quit that job. I used to live in London and the traffic jam started outside of my house, it took 45 minutes to go three miles and start my working day.
I moved to a remote island and used to sing "I'm commuting!" as I drove around the bay. In the bay were seals and various interesting birds. As I drove I listened to the traffic reports for the London area, it was all bad :(
45 minutes was the max I would commute also. beyond that, it just isn't worth it, unless you're making boucou bucks (or umpteen euros). but at least a commute has the benefit of allowing you to ease into the day, and wind down after it (always a silver lining).

O)9(yo&#
May 17th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Once again, and for the last time, please no side tracks, thanks.
Sorry, I figured, it's a chat, maybe we can be a bit more adventurous. I'll behave now. Sometimes I do need a bit of guidance...

lisati
May 17th, 2016, 10:47 PM
It's a wet and windy day here at the moment. When I was working, most days I'd use my two feet, and, when needed, public transport. I used to dread going out when the weather wasn't too great.

(I've semi-retired, due to health reasons, partly for myself but mostly Mrs Lisati, who experienced a stroke about 5 years ago.)

Shobuz99
May 18th, 2016, 12:40 AM
"Some" people may be retired and look back on their "...working years as the best time of their life....",
But not me. I worked for IBM for 28 years, and I dreaded many a week of working in mfg. 10 hours a day
in a circuit board fabrication and lamination department, as well as a DES (Develop Etch Strip) process that was a toxic chemical soup
of smells for 10 hours a day....for 10 years of those 28 years.
Fortunately, I moved up and became an EE in Optical & Electrical Test Engineering, and finished my career there
behind a table of AIX computers, designing test fixtures. I too, worked at home sometimes; but the hours were still brutal
because of being "on call" 24/7.
Yeah.. I don't look back on all those years as the best time in MY life...not at all..