PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partial upgrade after good upgrade from 15.10 yields strange video

cigtoxdoc
May 6th, 2016, 11:22 PM
For the past week or so, 16.04 on my Dell Vostro 3500 has been pestering me to do a partial upgrade. I finally did it today after returning home from a 13-day business trip. Looks of strange screen effects. No scroll bards on evolution 3.19.90, very crude looking drop down menus on everything, I am using the recommended video driver. Yes, mission critical programs work, but something just isn't right.

John

kansasnoob
May 7th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Did you have proposed updates enabled? That's the only way I can think of that you'd have been offered a partial upgrade.

cigtoxdoc
May 7th, 2016, 01:15 AM
I am not sure what is included and what is not. If you put a check mark next to an item, it disappears. Furthermore, after I purge the nvidia driver, I cannot get the original 16.04 desktop back. Right now it is on gnome desktop. What desktop should I be using? Except on LibreOffice, text for all drop downs runs together.

John

cigtoxdoc
May 7th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Proposed updates not included. Cannot get to Ubuntu desk top. Have a Gnome desktop with almost unreadable color scheme (dark grey font on almost black background. Cannot get nVidia drivers to work even with usual tricks. Also, evolution version has changed to 3.19.90.