PDA

View Full Version : potentially usefull idea lineassist need help strategizing!

soulglo83
April 1st, 2005, 03:19 AM
hello ubuntu forums readers,

i am an amateur programmer, who has taken several classes in popular languages. the most formidable/capable of those is c/cpp however recently i have become interested in java, for my 1st project i tried to limit my ideas to those that are at the heart of gnu/linux, those that are selfless in nature, and accessable to all[except the desperately impoverished :-(, but thats hardware related obviously] the wonderful human beings on this planet. so how does the idea of a java applet, that seamlessly (to the user) pipes information (im's) to and from users who sign up w/ ubuntu or anywhere else willing to host this. this applet would enable ubuntu to provide 'liveassist' help w/ struggling ubuntu beginners. assuming a heavy hearted host or two would host the db and provide an accessable place where users can sign up to enter a database(after verification of course), when signed online these people would become active candidates to anonymously help people in need! im not sure this can be done as its a more of an honor system deal, maybe someone would have to moderate and authorize advice before it was accesable to the user. this is merely a skeleton, obviously a system that entrusts other people with vulnerable people's computers has to be policed somehow. maybe it would only be accessable at a time when a majority of the people in the db are online and restricting hours means less wasted man time, as people will typically resolve issues on there on(big assumption!, googling most problems for ubuntu is pretty easy though). additionally restricting the hours will make policing communications a little easier, after maturing a little scripts could be added to automate a lot of the advice and policing and even administration. has this been done? is it even feasable? and more importantly would anyone even be interested? (the applet is useless to design w/o a heavily traffic'd ubuntu related website to host/link to it, and of course people willing to donate there spare time answering questions occasionally). any and all input is welcome and appreciated.

unkwn
April 2nd, 2005, 06:29 AM
irc.freenode.net; #ubuntu (irc://irc.freenode.net/ubuntu)

soulglo83
April 2nd, 2005, 08:06 AM
though i appreciate your advice, i was already aware of the irc channel. using irc in windows isnt such an easy thing for noobs to make sense of. particularly finding a decent client... what i was thinking of was one less obstacle in the path of a potential ubuntian.... stupid idea in retrospect, feel free to delete this mods... ill be back, and dammit ill be useful next time!

odrop
April 4th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Well, going back to your applet idea, it probably wouldnt be that bad if it could load up a very simple irc client to connect to just the #ubuntu channel on irc, let the user pick a screen name and password, then they can ask questions there or just watch. Though maybe it should goto a more specialized channel for this kinda helper channel.

Just my 1c idea from your post :P

soulglo83
April 11th, 2005, 05:48 PM
good idea, to think i had forgotten to think of the obvious solution!