PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Screen occasionally replaced with old desktop image

dcroxton
May 5th, 2016, 03:34 AM
This is a really weird problem, it's hard to describe it.

I'm using Xubuntu 16.04, amd64, with 3 monitors on a Radeon HD 7540D controller. It's decadent, I know, but the motherboard had three built-in video out interfaces and I had some old monitors that I wasn't using.

Sometimes, the center monitor will change to a static image. Not just any static image, but an image of the desktop as it appeared sometime previously, like maybe 10 minutes or 2 hours or some fairly recent time. I'm often still using the same app, so it looks like the app screwed up, but I can't click on anything. If I click on one of the other monitors, the middle monitor will go back to normal -- for a time. Once it starts doing this, however, it usually keeps happening every few seconds until I restart.

Restarting Xfce4 doesn't fix the problem. Sometimes I seem to get the problem in a lesser degree on the other monitors, except then as I drag my mouse around the screen, it redraws the correct image. In other words, there's a static image underneath of an old app state, but the correct, live image gets painted in as I move my mouse around. Still very difficult to work with.

I have zero idea what is causing this, just wondering if anyone else had ever experienced anything similar or might have some idea what it could be.