PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trying To Reinstall Ubuntu Mate On Laptop

shane_faulkinbury2
May 4th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I'm trying to reinstall an ISO of Ubuntu Mate 16.04 back onto my laptop because I have an IP from Germany on it every time I'm on my WIFI even at different locations. I've tried Furius and SimpleBurn and I'm sure the burns are good because I've made several copies. I've also tried Legacy and UEFI modes, but neither works. The laptop never sees the DVD. I've tried every thing I can think of in BIOS. I know it can be done because I did the original install getting rid of the awful Windows 10! It's a Dell Inspirion 5558. Please help.

RobGoss
May 4th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Hello and welcome, Have you try booting off a USB drive

I'm trying to reinstall an ISO of Ubuntu Mate 16.04 back onto my laptop

So I'm assuming it already has Ubuntu on it correct? if so how did you install it on it the first time

Providing the specs for the machine will surely help us determine why the installation is not working.

shane_faulkinbury2
May 4th, 2016, 07:58 PM
I'll try USB and if that doesn't work I report back with the machine specs! Thanks!:)

shane_faulkinbury2
May 4th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Well on USB is working perfectly, but still would like to know why the DVD install wouldn't work. Especially since that is how I installed 15.10 the first time!

RobGoss
May 4th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Well on USB is working perfectly, but still would like to know why the DVD install wouldn't work. Especially since that is how I installed 15.10 the first time!

There might be something wrong with that DVD, you can try burning another ISO file to yet another DVD to see if that works
I find the DVD's tend to do this for some reason. I always use a USB drive because it always seems to be more reliable

QDR06VV9
May 4th, 2016, 09:21 PM
There might be something wrong with that DVD, you can try burning another ISO file to yet another DVD to see if that works
I find the DVD's tend to do this for some reason. I always use a USB drive because it always seems to be more reliable
Yep I also prefer burning to USB's :) Less chance of oddities.
Regards

RobGoss
May 4th, 2016, 09:36 PM
If you are happy with the help you received and have resolved your problem would you mind marking this thread as solved. You can do this by using the Thread Tool tab at the top of this post. Thank you

shane_faulkinbury2
May 4th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Right on! I'll try it with a couple of different ISO's and see if that works especially since this was the first try with the 16.04! :)

RobGoss
May 4th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Right on! I'll try it with a couple of different ISO's and see if that works especially since this was the first try with the 16.04! :)

That's great I think using the USB is less trouble and work most if not all of the time. Good luck