PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommended Way to Bring Back All System Tray Icons in Ubuntu 16

dannymichel
May 2nd, 2016, 10:31 PM
What's the recommended way to bring back all system tray icons(whitelist) in Ubuntu 16 as separate icons not included in a dropdown?

mc4man
May 2nd, 2016, 11:49 PM
What's the recommended way to bring back all system tray icons(whitelist) in Ubuntu 16 as separate icons not included in a dropdown?
you may want to put your query into some sort of context/example as on the face it makes no sense..
systray/application icons are separate icons per app (no dropdown there) & work by clicking on to expose options (certainly a dropdown there

dannymichel
May 4th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Notice skype and foobar on the top right system tray?
I had to install an app that allowed me to see them because Ubuntu hides them by default. I dont like how that app puts them in a dropdown. I'd rather something modify the default hiding behavior Ubuntu has for some really really odd reason has implemented.

QDR06VV9
May 4th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Notice skype and foobar on the top right system tray?
I had to install an app that allowed me to see them because Ubuntu hides them by default. I dont like how that app puts them in a dropdown. I'd rather something modify the default hiding behavior Ubuntu has for some really really odd reason has implemented.

Hi dannymichel could you in future just use the Attachment option for posting screenshots or big images in the post as they are hard on those with sight impairments and have low bandwidth caps.

dannymichel
May 4th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Hi dannymichel could you in future just use the Attachment option for posting screenshots or big images in the post as they are hard on those with sight impairments and have low bandwidth caps.

Sure - I used both for that reason, but no problem

QDR06VV9
May 4th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Thank You!;)

mc4man
May 5th, 2016, 01:22 AM
Ubuntu moved to application indicators a couple of years ago & for the most part apps have created them in lieu of their systray icons.
I probably wouldn't expect that from wine programs & a few others.

In that case to get individual icons you'd need to re-enable systray icons in the unity source & re-build the packages.
The change in source is quite simple, change 1 line of code & disable 1 compile time test. this is the patch I use here to do such in 16.04 -

--- unity-7.4.0+16.04.20160415.1.orig/tests/CMakeLists.txt
+++ unity-7.4.0+16.04.20160415.1/tests/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -251,7 +251,6 @@ if (ENABLE_X_SUPPORT)
test_panel_menu_view.cpp
test_panel_service.cpp
test_panel_style.cpp
- test_panel_tray.cpp
test_panel_view.cpp
test_places_group.cpp
test_preview_player.cpp
--- unity-7.4.0+16.04.20160415.1.orig/panel/PanelTray.cpp
+++ unity-7.4.0+16.04.20160415.1/panel/PanelTray.cpp
@@ -133,7 +133,7 @@
glib::String res_name;
na_tray_child_get_wm_class(icon, &res_name, &res_class);

- bool accept = FilterTray(title.Str(), res_name.Str(), res_class.Str());
+ bool accept = true;

if (accept)
{

Building unity locally is possible however it tends to fail a number of tests somewhat randomly, plus the build folder goes to around 4GB due to pre-compiled headers. A little bit of a pita, myself just let launchpad deal with this for me

dannymichel
May 5th, 2016, 04:36 AM
Ubuntu moved to application indicators a couple of years ago & for the most part apps have created them in lieu of their systray icons.
I probably wouldn't expect that from wine programs & a few others.

In that case to get individual icons you'd need to re-enable systray icons in the unity source & re-build the packages.
The change in source is quite simple, change 1 line of code & disable 1 compile time test. this is the patch I use here to do such in 16.04 -

--- unity-7.4.0+16.04.20160415.1.orig/tests/CMakeLists.txt
+++ unity-7.4.0+16.04.20160415.1/tests/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -251,7 +251,6 @@ if (ENABLE_X_SUPPORT)
test_panel_menu_view.cpp
test_panel_service.cpp
test_panel_style.cpp
- test_panel_tray.cpp
test_panel_view.cpp
test_places_group.cpp
test_preview_player.cpp
--- unity-7.4.0+16.04.20160415.1.orig/panel/PanelTray.cpp
+++ unity-7.4.0+16.04.20160415.1/panel/PanelTray.cpp
@@ -133,7 +133,7 @@
glib::String res_name;
na_tray_child_get_wm_class(icon, &res_name, &res_class);

- bool accept = FilterTray(title.Str(), res_name.Str(), res_class.Str());
+ bool accept = true;

if (accept)
{

Building unity locally is possible however it tends to fail a number of tests somewhat randomly, plus the build folder goes to around 4GB due to pre-compiled headers. A little bit of a pita, myself just let launchpad deal with this for me
Wow, that's a heck of a lot to do.

wildmanne39
May 5th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Please use thumbnails or Url's when posting images because many people have slow internet conections and loading pages with large images is very difficult for them.

jim_deadlock
May 6th, 2016, 07:38 PM
You should try Gnome Shell, it has a beautiful way of showing those icons on a small auto-hide tray at the bottom of the screen. The rest of it is very elegant too (yes, I'm biased).