PDA

View Full Version : [server] 14.04 to 16.04 upgrade leaving errors or warnings

Laage
April 29th, 2016, 09:52 AM
I've upgraded an Ubuntu Desktop from 15.10 to 16.04 LTS without problem and decided to upgrade a server with 14.04 LTS to the 16.04 version. This however did not go according to plan.
First of all the upgrade from mySQL 5.5 went south leaving me with a semi-installed and non-functioning mySQL 5.7. Secondly the upgrade renamed my NIC from eth0 to ens32, so I was left without a working network at first.
The NIC issue was a relatively easy fix, I went into the /etc/network/interfaces file and replaced eth0 with ens32 and I had connectivity again.
mySQL took some more work, but I was able to fix it by doing a sudo apt-get remove --purge on it and reinstalling it. I ran a repair on the databases and most everything seems to be OK now, I was forced to do a version upgrade of the site running on the server as the original version did not like PHP7, but this was part of the upgrade plan anyway.

I feel like I'm almost there, however when I run either "upgrade" or "dist-upgrade" I'm being told that a number of packages are no longer required and can be removed with autoremove. I've removed a number of them manually, but some of the remaining have me worried.

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
apt-xapian-index aptitude-common libapt-inst1.5 libapt-pkg4.12
libarchive-extract-perl libbind9-90 libboost-iostreams1.54.0
libboost-iostreams1.58.0 libck-connector0 libclass-accessor-perl
libcloog-isl4 libcwidget3 libdns100 libept1.4.12 libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-common
libgcr-base-3-1 libio-string-perl libisc95 libisccc90 libisccfg90 libisl10
libjs-codemirror libjs-jquery-cookie libjs-jquery-event-drag
libjs-jquery-metadata libjs-jquery-mousewheel libjs-jquery-tablesorter
libjs-jquery-ui libjson0 liblog-message-perl liblog-message-simple-perl
liblwres90 libmodule-pluggable-perl libmodule-runtime-perl
libparams-classify-perl libparse-debianchangelog-perl libpod-latex-perl
libprocps3 libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libsub-name-perl libsystemd-daemon0
libsystemd-login0 libterm-readkey-perl libterm-ui-perl libtext-soundex-perl
libvpx1 libxapian-1.3-5 libxapian22v5 libxtables10 linux-generic
linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic php5-gd php5-mcrypt python-chardet
python-dbus-dev python-debian python-ndg-httpsclient python-requests
python-urllib3 python-xapian python3-debian python3-xapian1.3 thermald
watershed
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Mostly it's the "linux-generic, linux-headers-generic, linux-image-generic" I'm concerned about. Have the standard kernel packages changed names or am I missing something here?
Also there's the "aptitude-common", has aptitude been deprecated entirely in the latest version of the LTS?

Should I just run "sudo apt-get autoremove" or is there anything else I can do to clean up these few remaining errors?

Kind regards
/Laage