PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 16.04 fresh install hangs on boot

asearle
April 28th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Hallo Everyone,

Today I installed Lubuntu 16.04 (64bit) on my netbook but during boot the system hangs giving the following message ...

/dev/sda5: clean, xxx/xxxx files, xxx/xxxx blocks

The strange thing is that, if I boot on recovery mode, everything comes up fine. Indeed, under recovery mode I was able to run an update (in the hope that this would fix the problem) but the system still hangs on boot.

I also thought that maybe this is just a file/disk-scan and I just need to wait for it to finish but there doesn't seem to be any disk activity.

Does anyone have a tip for me? Or should I maybe continue to boot in recovery mode until a fix is supplied?

Many thanks,
Alan Searle
Cologne, Germany

asearle
April 30th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Has no one got a tip for me here? I've been googling like mad and it seems to be a recognised issue and there is talk that the problem is solved/solvable but I can't find the actually solution, only talk of the problem. e.g. here ...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/761653/startup-problem-in-16-04-lts

I found one source (a French site) which recommended making this adjustment to GRUB ...

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux "

... and then running ...

sudo update-grub

... but that didn't help.

I'm sure it's a simple thing but it is a really pain as I was expecting 16.04 to install cleanly.

Many, many thanks for any tips that you can give me.

Regards,
Alan

slava_ukraine
April 30th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Hi,
I had same problem. It seems that intel video driver is not installed.

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

asearle
April 30th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Perfect: Many thanks for this solution!

adriaan4
June 6th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Hi,

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

THANKS! this trick saved my day too, when trying to install Lubuntu 16.04LTS on Compaq Mini 110 netbook: (boot issue, WiFi issue):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2326940