PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] libimobiledevice support in Ubuntu 16.04

tom231
April 27th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I just upgraded to Ubuntu desktop 16.04 from 15.10. I notice that support for iPhone connectivity has apparently changed. Now when I connect my iPhone (running iOS 9.3.1), a camera icon appears in the launcher (rather than a phone icon), and when I click on this, Nautilus appears with only the DCIM folder available for browsing. In 15.10, a range of folders was accessible (including the PhotoData folder, which is important if you want to delete your photo library after copying the files to an external folder). Further, Rhythmbox no longer sees the iPhone I've connected, so syncing music appears to be unsupported. (I'm less concerned with that, because it never worked for me anyway, but this change in 16.04 suggests that the developers have given up on implementing this.) I've searched Google for any information on libimobiledevice support in Ubuntu 16.04, but find nothing, probably because the release is so new.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any insights? I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, so it's certainly possible there's something obvious I need to do to enable full iPhone support in 16.04. Suggestions would be appreciated.

JhonnyOliveira
April 28th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I'm experiencing a very similar issue, basically, it mounts the iPhone just like you described (only DCIM, I can even browse it), but thumbnails are not populated and I can't copy any file (picture/video) out of it. Unluckily enough, the iPhone ran out of space and I had to re-install Ubuntu 15.10 to move the photos out.

albert47
May 23rd, 2016, 01:25 PM
Me too, maybe developpers will fix it someday?

I could see my iPhone and iPod for music, not now wih 16.04

Let's wait

chris-leeg
September 2nd, 2016, 12:50 PM
This is not an Ubuntu or even Linux problem. It was working but Apple are now blocking access to iTunes Music to anyone outside their walled garden. An Ubuntu phone is starting to look real good about now...