PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] gnome usage

yonnie
April 27th, 2016, 02:40 AM
I upgraded kubuntu14.04 to 16.04 and got put into a gnome desktop. I can't figure out how to convert it to KDE, maybe I can't? Furthermore, in the meantime, how do I get gnome windows to minimize so I can get behind them? All there seems to be is a choice to close an app or start an app. The does not seem to be a functional taskbar or kick-panel or dash. What's the work-around?

vasa1
April 27th, 2016, 02:50 AM
I upgraded kubuntu14.04 to 16.04 and got put into a gnome desktop.
That is extremely unusual.

I can't figure out how to convert it to KDE, maybe I can't? Furthermore, in the meantime, how do I get gnome windows to minimize so I can get behind them? All there seems to be is a choice to close an app or start an app. The does not seem to be a functional taskbar or kick-panel or dash. What's the work-around?I suggest you do a clean install of whichever flavor of Ubuntu or distro you want. Run a live USB first.

Of course, there'll be people here who can help sort things out. Your call :)

ThanosShadow
April 27th, 2016, 02:53 AM
Open Acitivities, type tweak tool, press enter

If it is not installed by default, install it via the terminal

sudo apt install gnome-tweak-tool

or find it in the software center

From there you can change/customize many aspects of the gnome 3 desktop. Somewhere (please excuse me but I am using unity right now) you will find the options to add the minimize and maximize buttons. Probably in the "Windows" tab.

There are other ways to minimize windows in gnome 3 and I assure you, once you get the hold of it, you will be amazed by how fast you will be able to do things, gnome 3 provides unbelievably fast workflow for me especially because of the easy way to change between workspaces (moving the pointer to the upper left and then scrolling up and down)

I hope I helped a little

Eva_Bouwman
April 27th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Not sure what is going on with you but if you logout, you can choose you desktop by clicking the icon in the right top of you're login panel.

gl

Bucky Ball
April 27th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Not sure what is going on with you but if you logout, you can choose you desktop by clicking the icon in the right top of you're login panel.

Tried this?

Logout, session menu, choose KDE, if its there, login. It will remain KDE until you change it again.

You have another thread already about the KDE problem. Please do not post duplicate threads on the same issue and please do not post two questions on one support thread. It gets confusing. Thanks.

yonnie
April 27th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Ok, I turned off the auto login feature and then after reboot I found a tab on the login screen that said:"gnome". I clicked on the gnome and got a choice of Gnome or Plasma. I clicked on plasma and got a weird looking desktop but at least it is more familiar appearing KDE-like environ. The kick-panel seems to have more interactive features too. Not quite what I wanted, but it will do for now.
The laptop is giving me other issues, such as not responding to mouse focus. I need to find drivers and install them. Laptop is an HP 2740p. it's got the joystick w/buttons, scratch-pad w/buttons and a touch-screen w/pen. Not much worked right before the upgrade and post-upgrade the touch-screen doesn't respond to fingers anymore. I'll post elsewhere for these issues.
Thanks for the help

Bucky Ball
April 27th, 2016, 07:38 PM
If you feel this thread is solved, please mark it solved. See the link in my signature. Good luck with your other issues. :)

buzzingrobot
April 28th, 2016, 01:09 PM
how do I get gnome windows to minimize...

Right click on a window bar.

yonnie
April 28th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Guess this thread isn't solved. BTW, where is the "solved" button? I been editing the title, manually, is this the correct way?

If I log out from Plasma, the choice button gives me the choice of Plasma, where's Gnome? Had a choice from Gnome to Plasma, Plasma to Gnome seems to have disappeared.

Bucky Ball
April 28th, 2016, 06:48 PM
For marking solved, use 'Thread Tools' at the top right of the page. If you can't work it out the second blue link in my signature at the bottom of this post that shows you how.

yonnie
April 28th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Thanks Bucky Ball, found it. And as you can see there seems to be a problem still with the original question "gnome usage" so I'll leave thread open. it may help others with similar issue. I didn't know which desktop came up as it obviously was not KDE which I had just upgraded from. The presented desktop was very non-intuitive and required a lot time locating and using features. Maybe the Gnome logo somewhere would give a clue to the user?

nothingspecial
April 28th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Furthermore, in the meantime, how do I get gnome windows to minimize so I can get behind them? ............What's the work-around?

You click the thing that looks like a - on the left side of the X that closes the window.

yonnie
April 29th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Guess this thread isn't solved. BTW, where is the "solved" button? I been editing the title, manually, is this the correct way?

If I log out from Plasma, the choice button gives me the choice of Plasma, where's Gnome? Had a choice from Gnome to Plasma, Plasma to Gnome seems to have disappeared.

yonnie
April 29th, 2016, 01:25 AM
Thanks nothingspecial, I didn't see the dash and now that I switched to Plasma, I can't find a way to get back to Gnome to try it out.camera:/Samsung%2520Galaxy%2520models%2520(MTP)@usb:010,00 5/store_00010001/DCIM/Camera/20160428_171956.jpg

yonnie
April 29th, 2016, 01:32 AM
Thanks nothingspecial, I didn't see the dash and now that I switched to Plasma, I can't find a way to get back to Gnome to try it out.

DuckHook
April 29th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Post merged with original thread.