PDA

View Full Version : Problems after upgrading from Xubuntu 15.10 to Xubuntu 16.04LTS

gregg3
April 25th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Newbie here. I did the upgrade from Xubuntu 15.10 to Xubuntu 16.04LTS. It went as expected until I got to the 'reboot' point. I clicked on the reboot button and the computer started to reboot but then it didn't come back up the way it normally does. The screen had no input signal and did the power shut down thing. I thought the computer was off (it wasn't) so I hit the power button, which of course did nothing. I left the computer alone and in about a half hour the computer came on and was fully functional.

I noticed a warning icon (you can kind of see it in the attachment--it's a red ball with a white line thru it) in the toolbar and clicked on it. (see screenshot attached). I clicked on 'Start Package Manager' and it opened the Synaptic Package Manager but it gave no instructions, so I didn't know what to do.

The next morning I turned on the computer and there was a software update (saying 'distro info data') waiting, so I ran it. And whether it was before or after the update I don't know, but the warning icon in the toolbar was gone, so I thought the update might have fixed the problem, but it didn't.

When I start the computer it powers up but the screen is blank and I get 'no input signal' on the monitor. But in a half hour or so the computer is on properly and it works fine.

I have Googled around (I have 'aptitude' installed.) and am tempted to try:

sudo apt-get update or sudo apt-get upgrade or sudo aptitude update or sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

but I'm just guessing. I really don't know what to do, and I don't want to make things worse than they are as this is my work computer and I really need it.

Thanks.