PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade to 16.04

newblank25
April 23rd, 2016, 01:28 PM
I am using ubuntu 14.04 lts. I followed the instructions.
To upgrade on a desktop system:

Open the "Software & Updates" Setting in System Settings.

Select the 3rd Tab called "Updates".
Set the "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" dropdown menu to "For any new version" if you are using 15.10, set it to "long-term support versions" if you are using 14.04 LTS.
Press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager" (without the quotes) into the command box.
Software Updater should open up and tell you: New distribution release '16.04 LTS' is available.
Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
Software Updater didn't show me the new release.
What is the answer to this problem

Impavidus
April 23rd, 2016, 01:42 PM
If you use the "inform of upgrades to LTS releases" option in 14.04, it will prompt for the upgrade when 16.04.1 is released in about 3 months. This is because people moving from LTS to LTS want stability most instead of the latest software (else they would have used the interim releases), and 16.04 will be more stable 3 months from now.

RobGoss
April 23rd, 2016, 02:07 PM
I recommend just doing a clean installation of 16.04 and things will run a lot smoother I've ran into a few problems trying to go the upgrade method so I just did a clean install and everything is running great

recurringvisitor
April 23rd, 2016, 02:21 PM
It depends on whether you're willing to take the risk with your system. I had to go the upgrade to 15.10 directly route (not recommended, and I was somewhat nervous about it since I dual boot Windows 10), and then received the notice for upgrade to 16.04 immediately. If you know how to get around using Linux commands fairly well, then I would say go forward. If not, clean install or as suggested by Impavidus, wait 3 months.

grahammechanical
April 23rd, 2016, 02:23 PM
It is in the release notes. Which we do not read but may be we should.

14.04 LTS to LTS upgrades will be enabled with the 16.04.1 LTS point release, in approximately 3 months time.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes

Regards

RobGoss
April 23rd, 2016, 02:40 PM
It depends on whether you're willing to take the risk with your system. I had to go the upgrade to 15.10 directly route (not recommended, and I was somewhat nervous about it since I dual boot Windows 10), and then received the notice for upgrade to 16.04 immediately. If you know how to get around using Linux commands fairly well, then I would say go forward. If not, clean install or as suggested by Impavidus, wait 3 months.

Risk taking has become a part of changing our systems with any Linux upgrade or installation, when new distro's are available it is always recommended to make a full backup of your system this way at least if anything goes wrong you can go back to a working system

I know for some new users going the upgrade route is presumed safe and should always work but unless you're doing it accordingly and by steps it may only cause you more problems.

I'm also a Windows insider beta tester so you know risk is something i do everyday with Windows, just booting up Windows is a RISK :)

recurringvisitor
April 23rd, 2016, 04:41 PM
Risk taking has become a part of changing our systems with any Linux upgrade or installation, when new distro's are available it is always recommended to make a full backup of your system this way at least if anything goes wrong you can go back to a working system

I know for some new users going the upgrade route is presumed safe and should always work but unless you're doing it accordingly and by steps it may only cause you more problems.

I'm also a Windows insider beta tester so you know risk is something i do everyday with Windows, just booting up Windows is a RISK :)

Oh so true.