PDA

View Full Version : Progress?

rosswmcgee
April 22nd, 2016, 09:36 PM
I installed 16.04 lts clean. Noticed two things so far. When using Libre Office there is no envelop to click on to send document. You have to go to file/send/attach file.. That was a one click on the envelop in 16.04 lts.

Also the calc has no stay on top function.. Just getting started.

vasa1
April 23rd, 2016, 01:05 AM
Also the calc has no stay on top function.. ...
What does that do?

rosswmcgee
April 23rd, 2016, 01:50 PM
It means you can plae the calc on top of the doc you may be using instead of flipping back and forth. The libre office sweet is not nearly as nice as the 14.04lys.

vasa1
April 23rd, 2016, 02:07 PM
I installed 16.04 lts clean. Noticed two things so far. When using Libre Office there is no envelop to click on to send document. You have to go to file/send/attach file.. That was a one click on the envelop in 16.04 lts.
Hi, under Tools, Customize, you can add back the envelope.

It's also possible that the envelope is there but, if you have several icons, it may be hidden under a dropdown or expander type of thing?

rosswmcgee
April 23rd, 2016, 03:27 PM
great let me try it.

rosswmcgee
April 23rd, 2016, 03:32 PM
Yep, please and thank you got the envelop back. Now lets get the calc to always on top. Also noted that using the mate panel, when you wish to add to the panel in the drop down menu, there is nothing in the indicator applet menus.

vasa1
April 23rd, 2016, 03:56 PM
Yep, please and thank you got the envelop back. Now lets get the calc to always on top. Also noted that using the mate panel, when you wish to add to the panel in the drop down menu, there is nothing in the indicator applet menus.

1. You're welcome.
2. I don't understand what you want to do. You wrote "It means you can plae the calc on top of the doc you may be using instead of flipping back and forth." Do you want a spreadsheet window always on top of any other application's window? Then what will you do when you want to see or edit the contents of the other application?
3. I don't use MATE and so can't even begin to help with that.

rosswmcgee
April 23rd, 2016, 04:36 PM
Most calculators or other items allow you to right click on the app. when you right click it offers the option to always on top. That way you can do your work with out clicking back and forth. Open calc

and right click, you will see no option to always on top.

user1397
April 23rd, 2016, 04:58 PM
do you mean the calculator app or LibreOffice Calc?

rosswmcgee
April 23rd, 2016, 05:26 PM
Calculator 3.18.3

pfeiffep
April 23rd, 2016, 05:43 PM
The calculator included in Ubuntu Mate 16.04 [galculator 2.1.4 (http://galculator.mnim.org/)] provides "always on top" option
perhaps there's an easy method in Ubuntu to switch calculators

vasa1
April 23rd, 2016, 05:45 PM
Calculator 3.18.3
Thanks for finally clarifying!
What happens when you press alt+spacebar? Do you see a "layer" item in the window (client menu) that appears?

rosswmcgee
April 23rd, 2016, 08:44 PM
Yes I see you can do it that way. Wonder why they changed it? Oh well much appreciated. Every day a learning experience.

ajgreeny
April 23rd, 2016, 10:12 PM
Not sure about mate but in xfce (Xubuntu) and lxde (Lubuntu) you need a left click in the far left of the titlebar of a window to get to the "Always on top" option in the menu that appears.

I see in lxde either a right or left click gets the same menu; not sure about xfce and not on my Xubuntu machine at the miment

rosswmcgee
April 24th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Never heard of let click for this, tried it though. No worky..Thanks

vasa1
April 24th, 2016, 02:22 AM
I use alt+spacebar so much that I don't bother anymore with having the max/min/close buttons :)
The "why can't I move them here or there" wars don't interest me.

To my mind, there is a set of common core functions most operating systems provide when alt+spacebar are pressed at the same time.

OP, if you don't mind, please provide descriptive titles to your questions and if you ask just one question per thread, it will be helpful to others later on. Thanks!

rosswmcgee
April 24th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Sorry I thought the cafe was like a conversation.

vasa1
April 24th, 2016, 04:00 AM
But a support question would be more appropriate in a forum subsection dedicated to the issue. Thanks!

rosswmcgee
May 3rd, 2016, 05:45 PM
I found the calc in ubuntu mate to be unsatisfactory in 16.04 lts Suse 42.1. mate. Because the right click to move or to stay on top no longer works. Some say well use alt-space bar, which works
some times but others not. So I replaced calc with Kcalc and it works. The gmome calc works as long as you are in gnome or unity.