PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird wont start

expatver
April 22nd, 2016, 06:04 PM
Machine has 2 installations of 16 LTS. This one is a new install on a new HD. The other is an upgrade from 14 LTS via the live Cd (not the apt path). Both the ungrade and the new install are from the same CD. On the upgraded install, Thunderbird starts and runs fine. On the new install Thunderbird attempts to start and nothing. sudo apt-get purged and reinstalled Thunderbird. Still nothing when trying to start from the program icon. From terminal the program will start as sudo thunderbird. The terminal yields this message

------------------------------------------

sudo thunderbird
[sudo] password for "user":

(process:18333): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

-------------------------------------------

any ideas about how to remedy this? I found a similar problem elsewhere that created this error because of another instance of thunderbird running in the background. I checked with htop and thats not whats happening here.

I also asked this at the Thunderbird help forum with so far, no results.

Any help or direction would be deeply appreciated.

Expat

kc1di
April 22nd, 2016, 06:08 PM
in a terminal just type thunderbird no sudo
post any error messages it spits out.

expatver
April 22nd, 2016, 06:10 PM
Here is the output sans sudo. Will not start except as sudo.

Thanks

------------------
(process:20725): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Could not create gnome accelerators directory `/home/carr/.gnome2/accels': Permission denied
---------------

Expat

kc1di
April 22nd, 2016, 08:43 PM
Go to a terminal and type this command and see if it will allow thunderbird to start.

sudo chmod 755 /home/carr/.gnome2/accels
hit enter, then enter your password then enter again. There will be no output.

then try to start thunderbird again. let me know if it works or not.

expatver
April 22nd, 2016, 09:42 PM
Thanks very much. Unfortunately no difference. Tried this both with Thunderbird running and shut down. Tried starting from the GUI and nothing.

This is still the output when trying to start from the CLI non sudo
--------------------------------------------------------
(process:887): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Could not create gnome accelerators directory `/home/carr/.gnome2/accels': Permission denied
--------------------------------------------------------
Expat

KF4VAR

kc1di
April 23rd, 2016, 01:39 AM
Hi KF4VAR Glad to meet you,

Which desktop are you using Unity?

expatver
April 23rd, 2016, 02:12 AM
Dave

Yes, Unity, Pretty much stock install here. On the other HD on this machine, the upgrade (and that was a bit of a hack due to a possible bug in the live CD upgrade path but thats another story) Thunderbird will start fine. Here no.

Expat

Turning into crap. Right after I installed this, I installed Chromium. So I had no opportunity to try to start Firefox until a few minutes ago. From the GUI, same as Thunderbird, wont start. From the CLI this

---------------------------
firefox
---------------------------

So I guess its everything Mozilla. I do know with certainty that the upgraded install on the other drive runs not only Firefox but Thunderbird as well without hitch.

Update

Permissions-

sudo chown -R user:user /home/carr/.gnome2
[sudo] password for user:

after this chown it eliminated the permissions problem on /home/carr/.gnome2/accels. Now, Firefox will start and run no problem. When I attempt to start Thunderbird, I get the dreaded "already running. To start another instance, first kill the running window or reboot your system." Using htop or ps, yields no running Thunderbird process. Not there. Likewise grepping thunderbird

sudo ps -a | grep thunderbird

nothing there. Rebooting yields again the dreaded already running message. Went to /home/thunderbird folder and did away with the parentlock file. Looked for a lock file (where the program shut down improperly and didnt release the locked profile. Not there. Still will not start from the GUI or from CLI as /usr. When cli "thunderbird" the following result

(process:3336): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

and from Mozilla

"This bug appears to have reemerged when firefox runs under glib 2.36"

We appear to be on 2.48 from what I can tell here.

Suggestions?

Thanks

kc1di
April 23rd, 2016, 11:12 AM
Hi Again,
Try changing the owner of the
/home/<usr name>/.thunderbird file. You may also have to change permissions.
see if that works.

Alternatively you could copy the .thunderbird file from the working H.D. to the new install and see if that would work. if you do rename the .thunderbird file on the new install to something else like .thunderbird-bak
good luck ;)
73 , Dave

expatver
April 23rd, 2016, 11:22 PM
Hi Dave

Well- Tried copying the .thunderbird file per your suggestion. Dont ask me why but at that point the OS thought the program was no longer installed. Fine. Installed Thunderbird. Managed to start it. Went through the setup wizard fine until the point where it wants to save the new profile file to .thunderbird. It refused, saying no permissions. chowned .thunderbird. Locked the icon to the launcher and the thing actually started, I was amazed. So far so good.

What else I did do was to download another 16 .iso and burn it to a DVD and again checked for data integrity. If it had not worked out as easily as it has so far I was going to do a re install. I still dont know whether this has all been some sort of flaw in the new OS or a flaw in my install. Either way, another problem like this and nuke and pave time.

Carr

Didnt say thanks in the last post- Many kind thanks for your excellent assistance in all of this. It is deeply appreciated. Hope to catch you on the air someday. I dont have any equipment here and miss operating. Part of the reason I am thinking about moving back to the US.

Again many thanks for your help and my pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Carr

Guess we can call this resolved

kc1di
April 24th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Your Welcome Carr,
Hope we catch up on the air one day. I'm not on much right now but who knows.

please take a moment and mark the thread as solved.
Dave